Corsair CX500 500w not working

By iFiasco
Mar 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. So I just got me new PSU and my GTX 760. I started setting everything up, and decided to test the PSU, I plug everything in and the fan spins but only for a second and then stopped. I tried everything and it sill does not work, I used my old 400w psu and everything booted.

Could it be that my motherboard does not support the ATX 12 v2.3?
    I believe my motherboard is an ATX 12 v 1.
    Or just faulty PSU?
    I cant use my GTX 760 on my old PSU because it does not support the pciE plugs. Hopefully sombody can help me. What could be the problem?

Motherboard ASRock H61m-dgs
    Processor i5-2300 @2.8ghz
    Memory 8gb
    Video Card # 1 gtx 650 ti superclocked
    Hard Drive # 1 200gb
    Optical Drive # 1 none
    Power Supply Corsair CX500 500w. and the old one
    Monitor benQ
    Operating System Windows 7 64bit
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,434

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,485   +292

Have you attached your old PSU since trying the new one? This behavior can occur if you have a new build and didn't use the motherboard offsets (or left one in from an old board that doesn't match your new one and it is causing a short). Edit - Re-read the OP

Can you boot with the new PSU without the GTX 650?
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,174   +511

Also your GPU should have some molex adapaters, if you old PSU does not have the PCIE plugs grab some of the molex adapters and hook it up to the 400watt to see if the machine works. If not then its likely the GPU, if so the PSU maybe bad which happens.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.