Corsair launches 128GB DDR4 kits starting at $1755

Shawn Knight

Staff member

corsair retailing 128gb udimm ddr4 kits starting ddr4 memory ram vengeance lpx dominator platinum ddr4 ram memory128gb quad-channel

Corsair has unveiled the world’s first available 128GB DDR4 unbuffered memory kits. Aimed squarely at content creators running memory-hungry applications, the three new kits are available in Corsair’s Dominator Platinum Series and Vengeance LPX and lines.

The two Dominator Platinum kits consist of eight 16GB modules. One of the kits is clocked at 2,400MHz with timings of 14-16-16-31 @ 1.2V while the other runs at 2,666MHz at slightly looser timings of 15-17-17-35 @ 1.2V. The Vengeance LPX kit also consists of eight 16GB modules clocked at 14-16-16-31 @ 1.2V.

Corsair describes its Dominator Platinum as its most advanced kits. They use patented DHX (Dual-path Heat eXchange) cooling technology and feature user-swappable colored “light pipes” for those wanting to use them in a themed build. Its Vengeance LPX memory, meanwhile, is designed with overclocking in mind thanks to its aluminum heatspreaders and eight-layer PCB.

corsair retailing 128gb udimm ddr4 kits starting ddr4 memory ram vengeance lpx dominator platinum ddr4 ram memory128gb quad-channel

Both kits are designed for use on Intel X99 series motherboards and support XMP 2.0 and as with all Corsair kits, they’re backed by a lifetime warranty.

As you might imagine, 128GB of high-end DDR4 memory doesn’t come cheap. The Vengeance LPX kit will set you back a cool $1,754.99. If it’s the Dominator Platinum kit you want, be prepared to spend $1,979.99 for the 2,400MHz kit or $2,119.99 for the 2,666MHz variety.

You can build a solid gaming desktop for these prices but it’s nice to know the option is there should you really need this much speedy memory.

Permalink to story.

I'm sure a kit like this would go great along side your Quadro M6000, only a fraction the cost of that card.

I love the early adopters of tech, I thank you all for over-paying early in the game so I can enjoy reasonable prices later. In a couple years these kits will be <$200.

I would create a giant RAMDISK and install Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on it just to see if the game still stutters when you ride a horse through the countryside... Never could get that game to run smooth.

Unlikely, unless it is your hard drive that is bottlenecking performance. That would happen if you have very little RAM. But Skyrim performance is usually limited by GPU performance. Even if you load the game in RAM, the GPU bottleneck would still exist.

But Skyrim performance
He was talking about Oblivion not Skyrim. I realize that what you say still holds true, but Oblivion doesn't require nearly as much GPU power as Skyrim. Anyone over the course of the last 4 years that bought a $200 graphics card, should be able to play Oblivion without issues.

What you really should be saying is that, the game is played from memory regardless and installing to a RAM drive would only decrease loading times.

Back