Corsair RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDoMM

Hi, Ive recently bought another stick of 512mb of Corsair RAM to take me upto a gig, The RAM ive currently got is;

Corsair XMS PC3500C2 512mb

Ive had no problems at all with this for nearly a year and a half,

The stick ie bought is;

Corsair XMS PC3200C2 512mb

the 3500 stick is in DDR Slot 3, so I put my new stick in Slot 2, booted up and it wont detect that I have another 512mb of RAM, the new stick works on its own, but coupled with my old stick is wont work, Anybody got any ideas?

My mobo is a Gigabyte 7VAXP-Ultra, and ive uploaded a picture of my current RAM settings, have a look below \/

Hope somebody can help me.

p.s. Corsair dont make XMS PC3500C2 anymore, so if I had to buy a different stick, I couldnt.

Attachments

• ram bios settings 2.jpg
    ram bios settings 2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6
I should prolly add, the faster PC3500 DIMM is 433Mhz, the new one is 400Mhz.

Im thinking i need to change a settings in the BIOS so they both work together

It is always a bad idea to use memory sticks with different specs.
A different pair reverts to the speed of the lowest-spec.
Try to swap either stick for a matching one for the other.

Go in the BIOS & try to set the memory speed to 100%. That will make it run in sync with the FSB. By default, I believe it is set to "SPD" which means the BIOS will detect the detect the memory speed from the SPD chip on the memory module but who knows what it detects when there are two different modules with two different speeds.

You can also try setting the timings manually (set it to 2.5-3-3-9 at first).

& lastly, set them in the Slot 1 & 2 thus avoiding a Dual channel configuration. The board is a lot more picky about Ram parts & more likely to refuse them when you run the memory in Dual channel.

The Curse of Corsair® strikes again...

While most modestly mismatched memory modules will work fine together (talk about alliteration!), you still only get the speed of your slowest memory module.

So buying high quality 3500 DDR (while it should probably work), doesn't make much sense if you buy slower memory later on. But hey... It should still work at 3200 speeds.

Didou has pretty much anything I would suggest. YOu may even want to try troubleshooting by setting the FSB to slow speeds like 2100 / 266MHz and see if you can get it kicking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back