Could someone help me with removing CiD pop ups in IE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have been attempting to clean up my mother-in-laws laptop with limited success. The wretched thing has become very slow thanks to a lot of spyware that her teenage grandson has thoughtfully gotten into it.

So far I have used adaware (hundreds of items), zonealarm (10 treatments)avgrootkit (nothing found), aproposfix (nothing found), nolop (1 infection found), and hijackthis.

As far as the hijack log is concerned I have already removed
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.net - {F4430FE8-2638-42e5-B849-800749B94EED} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming.Net\PartyPokerNet\RunPF.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.net - {F4430FE8-2638-42e5-B849-800749B94EED} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming.Net\PartyPokerNet\RunPF.exe (file missing)

and

O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

The symantec one's are related to an installation of norton antivirus that I have just uninstalled with the plan of putting AVG on shortly instead.

Any advice of how to get rid of these pop ups would be appreciated

Thanks Ben

Sometimes the quickest and most reliable way of dealing with a system like this is to format the drive and reinstall the O/S. This assumes you have the restore software and can replace everything else.

I have been reaching that same conclusion. I might persevere for another day or so as I'm learning a lot, but I do have the option of reinstalling all the software.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back