Could the Blackberry London be the first device to run BBX?

By Leeky
Nov 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Details have begun to emerge of what could be Research in Motion's next generation Blackberry smartphone running the BBX operating system. According to an exclusive by The Verge, the reportedly…

Read the whole story
  2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,604   +411

Is this the end of the physical keyboard?
  3. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

They need a new designer. I think that design is friggin ugly.
  4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Ugly is an understatement. That thing looks hideous.
  5. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 509   +35

I sort of like the picture at least. Who knows what I'd think once i got it in my hand. My only gripe is too much wasted space. Look at all that space in between the aluminum and the screen. Why do manufacturers do that?
  6. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

Yeah because really, who cares how well the device works as long as it's not ugly..
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

We don't even know how well BBX works. If anything, given RIMs latest attempts at captivating the young adult market with their slide-keyboard phones, complete touchscreen phones, the release of their BB Music service, etc. If I had to guess, I'd say this BBX is going to be yet another failed attempt to look "hip" and appeal to the iPhone/Android crowd.

But then again, I can't because no one has seen this device in action. And that includes you. So we don't know how "well" this works yet.

Alternatively, design, capabilities and price are, arguably, the most important characteristics consumers look for on a device. To say design is irrelevant in consumers' decision-making is moronic at best.
  8. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Keep on strawmanning buddy. I never claimed that design was more important than function, you put those words in my mouth. I said the device was unappealing and that will prevent adoption from consumers who do actually care if their devices look good.

Ignoring the fact that your argument is fallacious, we still have logical errors in it relating to your claim about how the device works. If we have not seen RIM fully demonstrate BBX then it must be assumed that it is functionally equivalent to their previous OS, which is horrible, until shown otherwise.
  9. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

Based on that picture alone, I think it's drop-dead gorgeous. Very industrial, and purposeful.

I'd expect a keyboard model will be out, and this is the consumer oriented device. I just hope RIM keeps things simple. Having the Bold, three Torch variants, and the Curve is silly. I think there should only be two product lines.

QNX is nice enough to use, but it still needs improvement to match iOS. Hopefully RIM is taking a lot of feedback to make BBX the game-changer it needs to be.