TechSpot

Counter-Strike Closes

By souton
Jan 11, 2005
  1. hey, i just got a new nvidia geforce 6800 GT 256mb and when i play counter-strike, after about 5-15 minutes (random times), it closes out and takes me back to the desktop, this is really making me mad. does anyknow what the problem could be?

also- when i load half-life2, as soon as it loads, my computer restarts :(
    can anyone help me??

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Ive been having the same problem with Opposing Force and it turned out to be my wireless mouse program causing it.

3. souton

souton TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 106

sometimes my whole computer will restart, i made it so it won't reboot and gives me the blue screen.. is there anyway that is logged somewhere so i can post it ?

4. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

That sounds like something is overheating or you have a bad video driver. If you're using XP there is an Event Viewer in Administrative Tools in Control Panel. Are you getting a STOP message with the blue screen? Post what it says.

5. souton

souton TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 106

i looked in the event viewer, i have quiet some Error messages, but none of them tell me about the computer restarting or games closing out. for example, the last Error one says:

Fault bucket 163643064.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

that's it.

6. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt TS Rookie

Pc restarting in counterstrike.

I recently had a problem arise that brought me to the web looking for an answer.The problem i had was that when I play CS my pc would do a complete reboot.When it first started I could play for a half our before it would reboot and in about a weeks time it got to the point of rebooting as soon as I spawned in the game.I took all the advice and cleaned the machine it was quite dusty.I monitored the cpu and system temps.I also did a defrag and a mem test.I didnt let the test complete because it was only fifty five percent complete after about 32 hours.I had a good feeling it was a bad memory module. But i didnt know if it was the system memory or the grafics memory.So I took the easiest path first and pulled one stick of memory at a time and whalla! My problem was solved. I can play CS to my hearts content.So I thought I would pass that on in the hopes of saving you folks some time and energy.If any one wants more details feel free to email me at hatsnail@maine.rr.com. Thanks for everyones input.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.