Counter-Strike Source problem with ping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every server I go to I always get a really high ping and it normally goes up to about 300. I don't know how to fix this but I always get kicked so does anyone know why?

I'll go with the assumption you are running on a broadband connection with low traffic. First, are you behind a router? That could cause problems. Second, are there lots of people on the server? If so, try a smaller server. What about background tasks? Are you running a messenger service, an internet application? Downloading anything? Last thing I can think of is do a virus and spyware scan. That could also slow you down.

Whats your connection speed?? this is a major factor, anything below 256kb is not really acceptible for playing.

If your running msn that shouldnt matter unless you have 512kb but sitll you are able to use msn as well on a 256kb connection.

Your hardware, a system with low specs doesnt help and gives you extremly high ping.

viruses and spyware will also slow you down heaps, try getting something like spybot search and destroy or ad-aware. (just search google for them).

I have attached a config file, (C:\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\<yourLOGIN>\couter strike source\cstrike\CFG. stick it in there, if that doesnt help just delete it and now you know that you obviously have some sort of ocmputer problem.

Attachments

• autoexec.zip
    698 bytes · Views: 280
Thank you, I loaded that thing, and now i can't open CS:s at all. so how do I delete it? i have spywear in like AIM but if it's not on will it still slow me down?

Um ok.
Spyware will most likely slow you down.
You should have put that file in your Cstrike\Config folder. To delete just remove it from the folder.

What about in your seetings in your steam account? I know if you set your connection speed wrong you start to get really high pings. Belive me I tried it once, man what a horrible experince.

Ive been playin in the UKCS clan server lately, and my ping is the ONLY one in triple digits, and its usually at about 200-250. Watching people take 50 foot strides across the map is less than normal. But I have a good idea why my ping is so poor. Im running my connection off a wireless hub. But even then I still have a great ping in other rooms, like sometimes my ping is the lowest. So I dont completely understand why.

Well I could see why, wireless man, it travles over radio waves and depending on the type of radio wave there could be interfernce from walls or whatever is inside of them becuase radio waves can't pass through everything. Since the waves are in a high frequnency usually it shouldn't fade too bad but it still could. You should try and stay where the connection is strongest. If you want to read more,
http://www.utexas.edu/its/wireless/faqs/technology.html

Yea, but like I said, my ping is great in a lot of rooms. Just not in the ones I enjoy playing in, unfortunatley.

ive been having the same problem, i played source for about a month and yesterday i joined a server and my ping shot up into the 900's, i have no clue what could be causing this since i tried playing WoW and had no latency issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back