Country Specific Voltage affecting Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Hi,

I am from USA currently visiting a country where Standard Voltage is 240 Volts instead of 110 Volts used in USA.

I have some data that I want to Back Up on an external Hard Drive ( USB ) and thake it to USA.

Since I am using a computer which operates on 240 Volts, would the data recorded on an external USB drive work when I plug that Hard Disk into a computer in USA which works on 110 Voltage ?

If not what are my alternatives besides backing up 500 GB data on DVDs ?

Thank You.

HardDrives are universal
The power adaptor isn't (for USB HardDrives)
Any Internal Hard Drive will do, or purchase the correct power adaptor for your Ext. HDD

Also I've requested your (exact same) other thread to be removed

You will have no problem if the power supply is well engineered for 240 V. The hard drive will not know. It gets its power off the output.

A bit off-topic, but how are you going to get the HDD home? I had an external hard drive stolen from my checked luggage on an international flight once. Fortunately, there was no data on it, but I do not put anything valuable in checked luggage any more.

Get an External Hard Disk Drive.
Put the data on there.
Carry in CARRY-ON luggage... (prevents damage or theft...)
When you get to your destination, ensure you have the correct power adapter for your external hard disk drive. (Some actually support both 240 and 110 volts... it should say on the label on the power adapter)
Enjoy your data.

Some really great points guys.

Carry on sounds good but do they let you take HDD in carry on in International flights ?

Also I am going to put the data in an encrypted passwodp rotected container using a program called " steganos safe "

Anybody used it & yif es what are pros & cons ?

Also any other way to Password protect data on a Hard Drive ?

Thank You

I not only have carried on hard drives, but I have carried on prototyping boards for embedded systems when I was in that industry a year or two ago. I had a whole suitcase full of electronic PCB boards, cables, connectors, etc. Sure, they went through it thoroughly, but ultimately I had no problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back