CPU cooling via software...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure many of you are running software coolers such as CPU Idle Extreme or something else. Does anyone know of anymore software cooling utilities?

I'm suffering a heatwave where I live at the moment. Came back to a closed house on Friday where the indoors room temps were well over outdoor temps (my very own greenhouse effect :)). Outdoor temps were about 100F, indoor, believe it or not, was much higher. :(

In the past week I've been suffering some crashes on this AthlonXP 3200+. It still has the stock fan, but I'm ordering a Tower112, ducts and 2 fans in a week or so. Idle temp as I speak is 140F. This is with a software cooler running.

Idle temps were normally 100-105F.

Now I use CPU Idle Extreme and unfortunately it does not run as a service which means it doubles up when you switch between users. Also, under a screen lock it doesn't seem to be doing its job (idle temps in excess of 145F).

So, can someone direct me to a better software-based CPU cooler which preferably runs as a service under WinXP?

Or better yet, help me out and direct me to some info on running priviledged commands within a C++ win application? The "HLT" command is reserved for kernel calls (CPL=0). How does one go about creating an example kernel mode driver/service, or how does one go about actually calling the HTL command?

Yeah, probably.

But aside from that, is there any information online somewhere where I can find out how to run certain assembler commands on Windows? I need some form of hardware encapsulating driver (similar to the one Cpuidle uses from Borland). Oh well. Idle temp now 145F. :p

That'd be nasty and I don't quite have the tools for it anyway.

Just need to find some details on making a hardware-level service/driver in WinXP. Looking at some very old code from Dr Dobbs Journal. Will see where it goes. Basically need to get a quick and dirty way to make a kernel mode driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back