CPU core voltage not nominal, causing some instability

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave: I have and Intel D875PBZ chipset. For over a year, especially when playing online games, I get a high rate of disconnections. This is after going through 4 ISPs, two different phone grids, complete reinstallation of OS, changing modems, getting the latest BIOS, etc. There seems to be no incompatibility issues of internal comps (they are all high-end brand names), just that randomly the system wants to stop churning tons of I/O data. My CPU core voltage is what I expect after these many months. I require +1.55 volts to be nominal, but several indicators says I am jumping between 1.494 to 1.518. All other voltages read nominal. I checked this chipsets BIOS several times and there seems to be no way to increase this specific voltage. There is only one jumper on the board I can see, it is only BIOS recovery/management related. Regardless if hyperthreading is on/off, same problem occurs (I prefer hyper off). I have contacted Intel but have gotten no reply. Unless there is some way I can increase the CPU core voltage by at least .056 to see if this truely is the reason for instability, then my next solution is to go with another chipset, and you can bet it will not be an Intel.

Speaking of getting another chipset, I plan on purchasing one of those ASUS deluxe boards. I use dual SATA drives, with OS/utility programs on one, and games only on the other. Will it cause the OS and harddrives any confusion if I place these filled drives on the new chipset? Furthermore all other components should be compatible, both boards essentially have the same component compatibility. I have lots of great comps, just not what should be a good backbone.

Lastly, City of Heroes is one of the online games I constantly play. Another person had a similar issue where CoH had instability until he increased his CPU core voltage. Ostensibly, not enough voltage was being made to crunch that much data. I believe this is what is happening with me, which is why extreme multitasking seems to have issues as well. I do have plenty of ram and such. Thx for your help.

Your cpu voltage is well within what is called the "tolerance limit". Your problem is most likely not cpu voltage. Is your system unstable in ALL things cpu intensive? What about offline games? A way to test this theory is to lower your FSB. I think the PBZ will let choose 533 or 800, see if you can choose a lower FSB and then continue to use your machine.

Putting data drives on the new motherboard will not confuse windows; at the most you will have to re-assign them their former drive letters. However, windows will not boot if you just change motherboards. AT the least you're looking at a repair install if you switch motherboards.

If I was me, I would suggest to you to run memtest86 on your machine for several hours and see if it reports any memory errors. Do this, and report back.

rusty russ said:
Lower Your Front Side Bus To Atleast 1.5 If Any Higher Your Probably Gonna Have Stability Problems With That Cpu.

What are you talking about? What you said makes absolutely no sense. FSB of 1.5? What? And CPU? He did not evenmention what CPU he has. And, if his CPU is at stock, instability at the stock FSB should never occur.

I understand people trying to help but please, be reasonable.

Fif You Have A Frontside Bus Set At 1.62 For Some Mother Board P4 Thios Will Reek Havoc On Your System. Experinced This First Hand. Ami Bios On A Pt880 Neo Lsr Is Stock Is Set At 1.62 For Your Fsb Voltage. This Had My System Crashing Regularly. Chnaged And System Has Ran Perfect For About 6 Months. Know One Is Gonna Know Everything About Computers Nor Should Anyone Want To . If Your Really Dont Know What Your Talking About Is Usually Best To Hush. Hope You Get Your Problem Fixed.

rusty russ said:
Fif You Have A Frontside Bus Set At 1.62 For Some Mother Board P4 Thios Will Reek Havoc On Your System. Experinced This First Hand. Ami Bios On A Pt880 Neo Lsr Is Stock Is Set At 1.62 For Your Fsb Voltage. This Had My System Crashing Regularly. Chnaged And System Has Ran Perfect For About 6 Months. Know One Is Gonna Know Everything About Computers Nor Should Anyone Want To . If Your Really Dont Know What Your Talking About Is Usually Best To Hush. Hope You Get Your Problem Fixed.

I find it hilarious you tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. First of all, the only measurement useful to us for front side bus is the frequency, measured in megahertzs, most defintaely not with a single digit followed by a decimal. The most commonly used front bus speeds used today are 66mhz, 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, and 200mhz. This 1.62 number you are getting is essentially being pulled out of your, well, "hat".

Also, you cannot adjust the voltage of the front side bus. The only reference voltages you can alter on most motherboards, including yours ( I just verified this myself) is the CPU Internal voltage, AGP Pullup voltage, and the DDR voltage. Definately not the voltage of the memory controller, which as you should know, is the front side bus.

Your spelling is terrible, your manners are terrible, your knowledge is shoddy. If you are going to give advice, at least be able to clearly state what you are talking about., and stop getting terms confused.

I was thinking that he was referencing the multiplier. Is that possible? I'm not taking sides, just trying to understand.

Couldn't be. There is no such thing as a 1.62 multiplier. And, the multiplier on all intel processors has been factory locked for a long time. I honestly can't make heads from tails out of that post.

But I am waiting for a response from Alpha Dragon with the results of memtest.

some more information...

Sorry it took me so long to answer, been doing stuff. Firstly, is there a windows version of memtest? I only seem to find a boot disk version.

I got some info from Intel. They said the CPU is not made to handle higher voltages. If this is true, then there is no reason to get another motherboard.

Off line games are not a problem. I have run Doom 3 with high settings and stability is great. And I did forget to realize that when I multitask in the extreme I am usually online. So whatever is going on I can think of only one thing, my telecom backbone, because after using the other PC online for quite some time, the puke: -same- problems occur! So my next posting will need to be elsewhere since now it seems the problems are internet protocol issues (my telecom is rather dated, as in I just found out we depend on a relay box from the 1970s/80s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back