CPU damage after fan failure?

I recently had my cpu fan fail, I woke up to a bios message indicating CPU fan error, and of course when I check it, it was just kinda twitching around. I'm not sure how long the computer was powered up with that error message, but I suspect it was around 5-6 hours. Windows was running beforehand. But since replacing the fan I've noticed the performance has dropped a little bit and the system isn't as stable as it used to be, but its not consistent. I have small issues such as short and random freezing for a couple seconds, and the computer doesn't wake from sleep mode. These didn't start happening until after the cpu fan failure and I was wondering how likely is it that there is some cpu damage?

You are kind of lucky That it still works. You may want to remove the CPU and apply some new thermal compound. This may help you out with the problem. Plus I am sure some one here might have a few suggestion.

If as Cobalt suggests, you've cooked the TIM out of the CPU/HSF joint, the machine could still be running hot as of now. Suggest monitoring the CPU temp presently, with whatever means you have. BIOS will give you CPU temps, if you don't have other software installed.

If it's running hot, that could be the problem, if it's normal or close to it, then you've likely broken the CPU.

A computer won't boot without a HSF working. The overheat is sensed, and the machine shuts down. I don't know about an already running CPU. Intel does throttle CPU performance when the temp hits max recommended.

There's some fantastical spec about how fast CPU comes up to temp with no heatsink. It's about a 1000 times faster than a frying pan with a well lit fire under it. (Keep in mind that's a BARE CPU, (NO heatsink whatsoever)).

To whom it may concern, you don't remove the CPU, you remove the heatsink.:D . But, I suppose that's kind of understood.

When that error occur it means that you plug your cpu fan in wrong pin, make sure you select the right pin there are 2 pins,3pins and 4pins. select the right pin for your cpu fan.

When that error occur it means that you plug your cpu fan in wrong pin, make sure you select the right pin there are 2 pins,3pins and 4pins. select the right pin for your cpu fan.
You should re-think that diagnosis. If that were the reason, the fan never would have worked to begin with. And fan failure, sounds an awful lot like it did work to begin with.

Besides that was 5 months ago and they never reported back, I'm sure they have moved on.

Back