CPU damage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunger_force

I built a new pc and everything was working until i tried to install windows xp pro, then the #$@& hit the fan. It posted and everything right befroe it asked me wether or not i would like to install windows it gives me a blue screen saying check for virus damge or hardware damage and shuts itself off. I dont know what the hell is wrong. My freind mentioned that it could be that my cpu overheated but nothingslooks damaged but im sure that it doesnt have to to be completely fried.

Make sure the brand of memory you are using is compatible with the motherboard. Also try clearing the CMOS. Did you format the driver before installing the OS? You should always do a full format.

Im pretty sure that i did a full format. Ill try the cmos idea as well. I also just realized that i had the pc for about 5 mintues while the heatsink was not conected with all four posts :dead:. Im pretty sure that could do some damage but im no expert. thanks for the advice!

It can only take about 10 seconds to ruin a CPU if the heatsink isnt on it. The die can get up to 200*f without the heatsink attached.

Is there any way to if the cpu was damaged by heat? I looked at it today and everything seemd fine, but im not an expert with this stuff.

Yea it sounds like your CPU has taken some damage. I know my local PC shop will test your CPU for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back