CPU Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinone

Hi, i have an intel celeron 1.8Ghz (crap i know) If i were to upgrade to a pentium 4 2.8GHz Northwood, would it give a big performace boost?

yep...very high difference...you should upgrade
try a set of benchmarking tools on this CPU then after u install the other one try them on It.

Just two words...

DO IT! You won`t regret it.

And the northwood pentiums 4 are better than the new prescotts. I highly recommend Northwood over Prescott :hotouch:

Thanks guys i will get one but i do need help installing it. i have no knowledge about CPU installation.

first, be sure that your BIOS version will accept it (visit the mobo website to view compatibility). you may have to flash to a newer BIOS version

as for the physical installation...

1. unplug the power supply
2. use a ground strap or touch grounded metal before touching anything electronic
3. unplug the heatsink's fan plug from the mobo
4. unhook any retaining clips
5. gently rotate the heatsink back and forth to free it from the CPU (do not pull up or you might yank the CPU from the socket (heating the CPU first may make this process easier)
6. once you can rotate it easily, pull up at one corner, and the whole thing should pull off easily.
7. lift up the lever on the side of the socket to release the CPU
8. remove the old CPU
9. with the lever still up, install the new CPU (use the corner markings to line it up, it will only fit one way. it should just drop in.. DO NOT FORCE IT!)
10a. if the CPU came with a new heatsink, remove any protective film from the bottom and mount the heatsink on the CPU
10b. if you are reusing the old heatsink or would like better cooling on the new one. remove all traces of the old tape pr paste compound with isoproply alcohol. let it dry (a few seconds), and apply thermal compound (arctic silver 5 is the best available) different compounds have different application instructions so just foolw the instructions of the package or goto their website
11. attach any retaining clips
12. plug the fan into the mobo

and that's it! it may look like alot, but it's actually a simple procedure. i would suggest that you buy a grounding strap and some arctic silver 5 thermal compound, however they are not required

good luck :)

OK just one last thing about the CPU itself. Before i buy, will this CPU diffinatly work with my VIA P4VM800?

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz CPU Hyperthreading, 512Kb Cache, 800 FSB, Socket 478 - Northwood. sSpec SL6WK

justinone said:
OK just one last thing about the CPU itself. Before i buy, will this CPU diffinatly work with my VIA P4VM800?

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz CPU Hyperthreading, 512Kb Cache, 800 FSB, Socket 478 - Northwood. sSpec SL6WK
Should work, just need to make sure that the socket on the mobo matches the socket of the processor.

After taking research on your motherboard, it should be just fine.

EDIT: Take a look at this: http://www.asrock.com/product/P4VM800.htm
Is this the motherboard you have? If so, the processor will work just fine.

Here's a guide to help you out with CPU installation (but basically, KingCody is telling the same exact thing):
http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/features/22153/How_to_Install_a_New_CPU.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back