Cpu...do i need core 2 duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwyzdreamin04

So I have this crappy computer...its a dell 4500(5 years old), its 2 ghz pentium, only has 256 mb ram, and it takes forever to even open itunes with nothing else running. So obviously, I need a new computer. I am running low on cash, so i'm going buy a barebone kit and put what i can from this computer in to the new one. and replace whatever i cant put in the new one.

Well, I was reading through this and Ive figured out that pentium core 2 duo is faster than pentium D(regardless of what speeds say).
So which would be better for me? I'm not into gaming on the computer...I have plenty of game systems for that. I just would like to be able to having multiple things running, say, yahoo messenger(while chatting), itunes, and a couple firefox windows open, without my computer needing time to comprehend what i just told it to do... so do I really need to get core 2 duo or is pentium D good enough?

If you aren't into gaming I would just recommends the Pentium D. I use one for my Photoshopping and Flash 8 computer and it performs more than fast enough to not bottleneck my RAM or graphics card. The Pentium D will multi task very well with a gig of DDR2 RAM and should be quite fast enough for you. The Core 2 Duo (it's not a Pentium) is a really good choice, but the Pentium D is so cheap that it's practically free. If you did decide on a C2D I would get the E4300 because it's a really good overclocker and faster than a Pentium D.

Boogityboo04 said:
If you aren't into gaming I would just recommends the Pentium D. I use one for my Photoshopping and Flash 8 computer and it performs more than fast enough to not bottleneck my RAM or graphics card. The Pentium D will multi task very well with a gig of DDR2 RAM and should be quite fast enough for you. The Core 2 Duo (it's not a Pentium) is a really good choice, but the Pentium D is so cheap that it's practically free. If you did decide on a C2D I would get the E4300 because it's a really good overclocker and faster than a Pentium D.

When i said pentium i was thinking intel(that pentium was the brand)...duh to me. But I'm not going to bother with overclocking and stuff like that, so would that diminish the use of core 2 duo? I mean, not overclokcing it, would that make it less useful to me? or make it slower than it should be?

When the E4300 is not overclocked it isn't exactly a powerhouse and I would think that you might be better off just getting the fastest Pentium D from TigerDiect for only $99.

Thats what I was wondering, because I like computers and putting them together, but Idont want to take the time to overclock a cpu. I guess I'll be going with the Pentium D. thanks.

Boogityboo04 said:
When the E4300 is not overclocked it isn't exactly a powerhouse and I would think that you might be better off just getting the fastest Pentium D from TigerDiect for only $99.
wow, that's terrible advice. the E4300/E4400 are so cheap now, why stick with a netburst cpu?

Because he stated he is not gaming. Why spend money on something you don't need?

All he wants to do is run iTunes and a word processor at the same time. Regardless of how good a value the E4300 is, it would make him any more efficient. That money would be better spent on a gig of RAM.

an0nym0us said:
wow, that's terrible advice. the E4300/E4400 are so cheap now, why stick with a netburst cpu?

Also, the new chip requires a new motherboard which takes a new DDR2 memory stick, and a new PCI-e video card, and possibly new SATA drives. It gets expensive really fast to upgrade from old stuff. I just went through it.

well you got some options. Adding a lot more ram would help significantly - like 1gb. Also a faster hard drive. 7200 speed or more.
since you don't game, it doesn't make sense to get a new system if all you're doing is productivity. any low end cpu can do that.

windows will run terribly slow with only 256mb of memory.

It's quite likely that a five-year-old Dell has a socket 478 mainboard, so new Pentium 4s (or Core CPUs) won't fit as they use socket 775.

He said something about buying a barebones kit and installing the new stuff in that, so as long as he got a skt 775 motherboard he should be fine.

if you are running low on cash. (I can't believe I am saying this...) Just go to dell and get a prebuilt PC. If something goes wrong, you have a warranty. As long as you don't get a monitor you can be good on $400. If not, the Pentium D is a good choice, runs pretty cool and has little problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back