CPU fan about to blow??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_M

Hi,

For the past month or so I have been hearing some starnge noises coming form my PC but only during startup, the sound can best be described as a loud whirring noise.

My mobo is an ABit A17 which has that uGuru inbuilt hardware monitoring chip, so I decided to see if it could find what was causing the noise. So I loaded up uGuru only for an alarming beep to be emitted from my PC's internal speaker. I checked the readings on uGuru and tempreture wise everything seems fine with my CPU at 35 to 45 degrees C consistentley. However the the CPU fan speed is showing in a red box which I assume is bad and reads 3000 RPM.

The CPU is a P4 2.4Ghz (HT enabled) and is fitted with the stock fan it came with.

So can anyone shed some light on this, do I need to replace the CPU fan pronto? and if I do can anyone recomend a good CPU cooler.

Thanks.

- Thread moved to proper forum
Didou

Have you tested that it's the CPU fan that's causing the sound? You can unplug it for a couple of seconds to check, the CPU won't die from that.

Usually fans just need to be cleaned and maybe oiled a bit.

I have had the case open to see what the noise is and to my surprise it isn't the CPU fan but the Fan/heatsink on the Mobo. the fan seems to be still running though so Im not sure what action to take.

Well if it was my computer, I'd take the chipset fan off. It usually gets enough airflow from other fans and won't get that hot if you're not overclocking seriously. But it's your call.

If you carefully peal the sticker off the back of the fan most fans have a tiny hole in the back under the sticker. You can put a little WD40 or some other lub and that might fix the noise and get somemore life out of the fan. I have had this work a few times on video card fans that were going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back