CPU fan always on maximum speed, please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, I'm unfortunately a noob when it comes to tweaking, but I ended up here by googling on fan problems...

My problem is that my CPU fan always runs at max speed lately, even if the CPU is idle. As soon as I start my pc it sounds like its a chopper in my living room...I installed speedfan a few days ago, to try lowering the speed or at least see why it runs so fast, and I got strange results. The CPU temp stated 65C, and that maybe is the answer, but for different reasons I restored my PC and when installing speedfan again, it now says -128C on CPU temp. I guess this means speedfan can't get a proper value, but I can't see why. I've got a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo PC.

If the cooler isn't put tight towards the CPU, I guess this can happen, is that right? I just can't see how the CPU in that case can get so hot the fan speeds up immediately.

I really look forward to any advice how to move on...

Regards, Joacim

It would be a good idea to remove the CPU heatsink and check the condition or the underside of it to see if its smooth and to put some new heat transfer paste on it. Dont put too much on tho, as that will cause more problems, just a nice thin coationg over the entire surface of the CPU. Also, remove all dust from both heatsink and fan and from everything else for that matter as dust build up decreases cooling efectiveness.

Hope that helps. Rik.

proceeding :)

Thanks for your help. I've noticed something interesting now. If I press the fan and heatsink section towards the motherboard with a steady hand I immediately get a value on smartfan, i then see around 50C on the CPU, which is on -128 if i don't touch it. Then the fan immediately slows down. Unfortunately this only is a fact for a moment, when it all comes back again.

Is it an easy thing to remove the heatsink and check if i need to apply more cooling paste? is the old paste dried or can i just use a cloth to remove the old one? I don't wanna wreck anything...

The heatsink is easy to remove, there is a clip (probably on the top side of the cpu if its a tower case) that you have to press on to release it. Id put some new heat transfer paste on it, but be careful, dont put too much on, just a thin, even coat.

do all that rik as suggested also use a good paste like artice silver as the ordianry ones are not good at all :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back