CPU fan & case fans come on, but no video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a relative newbie to building computers and i was hoping you guys could help with my problem.

I've removed a ASUS A7V-E motherboard (with cpu) and RAM and video card from an older computer and reinstalled it in a new case (an Acousticase). I've connected the cpu heatsink, case fans, and ram and power and when I turn it on, all the fans come on, but the video never comes on. I don't hear any beeps at all. The computer keeps running until I shut it off manually by pressing down the power button. I have connected the SPEAKER connection to the right place on the motherboard. I have also used new thermal paste on the cpu, although I could not successfully remove all the old dried paste which is around the cpu.

I'm wondering if I'm forgetting to connect some essential cable somewhere without which the comp. will not fully turn on? It was all working fully in the older computer and I don't think it could have been damaged somehow (I transported it myself in thick bubble wrap).

Since I'm a bit new to this I also have a stupid question: when you connect those POWER, POWER SW, SPEAKER connections, etc from the case to the motherboard, is there a certain direction in which you are supposed to orient them? Or does it not matter? I'm just not sure which direction to plug them in.

The manual for the motherboard can be found at the link below. I'm just linking it here so if anyone wants they can check it and tell me if I'm missing some essential connection or if I'm doing something wrong.

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt133/a7v-e/a7ve-101.pdf

thanks for any help.

The power switch, reset, ide LED, case speaker, etc., just won't work if they are the wrong way around. Just make sure that you have the correct cable over the correct pins. If you have one cable across two pins meant for two cables, you could cause problems.

I would have a look to make sure that the processor doesn't have any bent pins (if it is an AMD processor; P4s don't have pins, just contact points). Make sure that the processor is installed into its socket properly - it must be all the way into the socket and the right way around.

Make sure that there are no unused standoff screws under the board that might be shorting it, etc.

Just to make sure that the power supply isn't the cause, try using the old PSU.

It might be a good idea to reset the BIOS. The information is in the manual.

As a last resort try reflashing the BIOS with the latest file from the motherboard's site.

If necessary, read this page on flashing the BIOS:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS2.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back