CPU Fan dying every 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a computer since 2 years. It is an assembled Intel Celeron D345, 3066 MHZ.
My CPU fan starts creating noise almost every 2 months. The first fan lasted around 10 months but over the last year I have been changing a fan every couple of months. Noise starts, then temperature going above 70 C. At one instance the computer was shutting down due to overheating.

The noise completely disappears after I replace the FAN but for two months.

Can you please tell me how can I resolve this problem for good. The FAN type I get is the only one available in the market.

The noise completely disappears after I replace the FAN but for two months.

Can you please tell me how can I resolve this problem for good. The FAN type I get is the only one available in the market.

As you've likely already suspected (or concluded), if you're purchasing the exact same fan and having identical results each time, it's likely due to that particular fan model being garbage.

If the system is a desktop, replace the entire heatsink assembly if need be. They're cheap enough (compared to replacing the fan every two months).

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=574&name=CPU-Fans-Heatsinks

I agree with Zenosincks that the fan you are using must be garbage. Most replacement fans are, unless they are ball bearing

3 solutions.

1. Buy from the CPU Manufacturer one of their heatsink/fan combos. This will usually last from 1-2 years.

2. Buy a 3rd party fan solution such as Thermaltake or Zalman. I use a ZeroTherm Silent UFO cooler which pushes 42.8 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) of air through the case on and yet only runs an average of 19 Db, so it is extremly quiet. I have been using this on my homebrew machine for a couple of months now and it is a joy not to hear the fan.

3. On my homebrew gaming machine, I use a vapor phase exchange cooling system to the CPU and GPU. Although I built this myself, there are such packages on the market. They are also known as compressor cooling systems. You can also look for water cooling systems by Zalman Thermaltake or Koolance. Koolance in particular makes a nice system that mounts on the top of the tower, with all the controls at your fingertips.

Larry

This is how I view this problem. I do not believe that originally the problem starts with the quality of the fan. Regardless of ball bearing or sleeve bearing fans; they do not die after 2 months. The problem is your powersupply. I believe that your 12v rail may be slightly skewed towards a higher voltage. Generally when the fan receives more voltage than its designed for, it will tend to speed up towards a higher rpm than its designed maximum. I suggest that you buy a new powersupply of about 420w and then buy a new fan.

Not likely.
I agree that the first step is a new fan-heat sink combination. The high failure rate of cpu fan, even badly made ones, is a severe warning sign for other components, as well.
A power supply tester might be a better investment... at $10 to $20, they can tell you a lot.
The most likely scenario with a bad power supply would be a fan running too slowly or too hot, but a decent one will handle a lot of voltages.
It would be good to know the brand and model of the computer or motherboard... and power supply, as well as power supply amperage.

my .02

Check the voltage on the cpu fan header, as it may be carrying too much voltage and burning the fan up.
An alternitive is to use a adapter and plug the cpu fan into a 4-pin molex connector.

There is no need to invest money in a powersupply tester. Just check the 5v, 3.3v and 12v rails in the bios. Safe limits are: 4.9v-5.15v for the 5v rail, 3.2v-3.4v for 3.3v rail and 11.85v-12.3v for the 12v rail. Regardless of the fan or the quality of the fan, there is absolutely no way that the fan can die after two months usage at normal conditions, especially after its just been replaced by another fan which exhibits the same problems. I would suggest that you invest in a new PSU such as Enermax or Antec. Also as the above poster suggested, check to see that the 3-pin fan connector on the motherboard is not outputting more than 12v-12.1v. However replacing the PSU will more than likely fix your problem.
EDIT: As other posters suggested, you should try replacing the fan with a different manufacture.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
I would suggest the above cooler, as its very quiet, and keeps the temperatures much lower than your current cooler does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back