Cpu Fan Failing [help!!!!!!!!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Ive been having this problem. The wire from my CPU fan, [Black Wire] because loose and fell of the fan. So i used a solder and placed it back in the middle. When i put it back in and plug the power cord in the connector and turn on my pc, the fan doesn't spin but everything else loads so i turn off my computer incase it overheated.
I then decided to try place the plug into different power points.

I have 3 power supply for fans JP15: Power Fan [Without RPM sensor]
JP2 : System Fan [With RPM Sensor]
and JP16 : Cpu Fan [With RPM Sensor]

First i put plug it into JP16 (for the cpu b4) and the fan doesn't spin, then i tried JP2 and it didn't spin either. Now i tried JP15 and it spins.

My Spec: p3 866mhz, 384mb sd ram, tnt2 m64 4x,creative sound,gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X.

Need Help! I want it to spin when i put it on JP16-for the cpu. Was there a problem with my soldering? Or did i sort circuit my mobo. Cause i can boot into windows and ****, but with the cpu fan on the Power Fan, i keep getting errors- Check System Health/CPU FAN failed.

thnx
:confused:

If you are not sure about the cpu fan, and your soldering is not good, then its better to get a new fan for your cpu. They should be quite cheap, and at least you would feel a lot better having that bad one replaced.

When i put it on diff power source besides the cpu connecter on my mobo, The Fan spins perfectly. I even tried another fan and it doesn't Spin when i connect it to the CPU Fan power.

I even got those electric testers or whatever u call them.
Their was power, around 10v but the fan doesn't spin which is confusing.

I can understand why you might be confused, as what you said doesn't make much sense to me either. I suggest you take a break, then go back and try again, taking care to write down what you have tried (type of fan you tried, what header you connected it to, etc.).

When did you discover that the fan wire had fallen off?

Was this the reason you opened up your pc to take a look, or did the wire fall off while you were fiddling around inside for another reason?

When did the fan stop working?

Was it working before the wire fell off?

If not then maybe the fan header on the mainboard is faulty. If yes then you have a wiring problem.

Please relax a while then take another look.

You soldered the black wire (ground) to the middle pin?

251130413.jpg

1 = Ground

2 = Fan control (+12V)

3 = Fan sensor

Originally posted by freefrag
When i put it on diff power source besides the cpu connecter on my mobo, The Fan spins perfectly. I even tried another fan and it doesn't Spin when i connect it to the CPU Fan power.

I even got those electric testers or whatever u call them.
Their was power, around 10v but the fan doesn't spin which is confusing.

Does your other fan have a molex connector?

Okay, it fell of while i installed another CD rom. In the above picture, the pins didn't fall off. The Black Wire (+12v) came of from the fan, so i put it back (Soldering Job). My CPU is p3 866 and the fan came with the box. It has a Intel Sticker Over it and the black wire that is suppose to connect to the motor under the sticker fell off. I then soldered it back and the Fan still doesn't turn. But when i put it on another power source ( I have 3), the fan turns but that power source does not have rpm sensor.
I had two fans. And with Both fans, the mobo could read the rpm. Now when i plug either fan into power source with sensor, it doesn't turn and if i put it in a power source without sensor it turns. This is really confusing??
:confused:
Could the senor on my mobo be stuffed???

well, then i used a voltmeter and mesaured the COntrol+12v
and it had power- around 10-11v. Now this is really confusing me. It is providing power to the fan but neither fan don't turn

It is possible that a wrongly installed fan or fan without the necessary wires can damage the motherboard fan connectors. I've seen this happen once - the result was a dead fan connector. The fan worked when plugged to another connector just fine.

Oh, That explains a lot Thnx. But whats confusing is that the connector is still outputting power. Around 10v which should make the fan turn. When i put my Voltmeter on
Pin 1 (Control) and Pin 2 (+12v) its reporting around 10-11v and this is the same for the other connectors. Is it due to my sensor not working? But there is power but the fan doesn't turn.....:blackeye:

Try measuring the voltage with the fan connected. You may find that its a lot less.

Cpu Fan Problem :s

Hi i have this problem with my cpu fan. it only spins if i either press the power button a certain way or manulay spin the fan with my finger to get it going.

Ive checked all that the wires are in the right places and its all ok.

The computer crashed twice before i noticed that the fan wasnt spining so i suspect that those two crashes were from overheating.

Any help on this would be very appreaciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back