CPU FAN FAST/LOUD - Not Booting - HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I have:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHZ
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard
nVidia GeForce SLI 256 MB Graphics Card (only 1)
2 gb crucial (whatever company) ram
and blah blah HDD's but I have a 500w power supply and only thing with that is the 4 PIN power connector in which I have an 8 PIN connector on the motherboard.

I been having it for about a month and when I first turn the machine on, the CPU fan speeds up to ultra fast and loud for atleast 3 to 5 seconds until it finally slows down to a normal speed and the computer starts doing its thing from bios on down.... Well I have been noticing lately for the past week that when turning it on sometimes, the fan will stay up to that insane speed and the computer wont do anything, it wont even start the BIOS or nothing for the machine. I end up doing something random like removing an external hdd firewire cable or taking out a usb and trying again and it ends up booting up fine.

Well this morning I came home from work only to try and boot the machine with the constant high speed fan going loud and nothing again. I tried everything i can. I went as far as taking out every PCI, HDD and CDROM even extra whatever the hell like the firewire eSATA and USB for the tower.

Nothing is working to get this machine booting up and its critical to me not only because I was trying to make some extra money for the holidays but period this is my studio working machine where I edit music videos and produce tracks for people music and radio wise.

I'm coming here first because it seems the best place to ask a question like this and hope for some help to diagnostics here.

I don't know what it is but im pretty well with computers, im guessing its either the CPU, RAM or the fact that my power supply has a 4 PIN mobo power and the motherboard calls for 8 PIN. Now the manual even says if you only have 4 pin then stick it in there but what do i know about that... lol

Anyone with incite? Thanks in advance!

Your Ram is manufactured by the 'Crucial' company. I did some research on these 8 pin 12v ATX power connectors. I found out this: By only using one 4 pin connector instead of 2, you will get results exactly like you are getting now. Your connection point can melt. In a nutshell...if you get the right PSU (with the 8 pin 12v ATX CPU power connector) none of this stuff that's going on will happen anymore. It's a serious problem and you shouldn't run that P.C until you remedy this.

Thank you very much for your quick response. I will purchase a better power supply today and try that out. I really appreciate that, lets hope this is the actual problem because the pSU is the cheapest of the 3 that i figured was the problem! UGH!

So your saying it would work decent for a while and then just totally stop?

How about this though, I did even take the ram totally out of the motherboard and try booting up, to see if it would give me that beeping sound like i usually remembered but i didn't even get that. Still sure its that PSU? Im getting one today for sure anyway cause i need it but just asking

Excuse me, im sorry this is my exact system :

Memory: Corsair XMS2 DHX Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Processor HH80557PJ0534MG - 2.33GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Conroe, Dual-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor
Video Card: XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX Video Card
Motherboard: XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard, NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX

Its actually Corsair member and not Crucial. My mistake!

Hey there!
I actually had a similiar experiance with one of my computers.
I had used the computer for a little over two years and then decided to upgrade it. I got a new power supply, graphics card, and RAM.
It worked fine at first but after a couple months my computer would startup: the fan would go crazy and then nothing else would happen (no video). However, I found that if I shut it down and tried again... it would usually come on the second try.
This got worse and worse until I couldn't even start it up anymore. After getting several tech opinions, we found out that it was a faulty graphics card. I was also told that the graphics card was basically stealing almost double the amount power it actually needed from my power supply (which is why it couldn't startup all the way).
We had switched out RAM, power supplies, and graphic cards to come to that conclusion.
Not sure if that's your problem, but if it is- I hope this helps! :D

I will go retry but I remember taking the PCIe Graphics card out and trying and it still didn't work. It has onboard graphics too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back