CPU Fan Fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznn3rd

After buying my radeon 3850 a month ago, a fan in my computer sometimes goes really loud for a few seconds while gaming. At first I thought it was the radeon 3850, but after using RivaTuner, the sounds were different. Because it is the only other fan in my system, I have reached the conclusion that it is the CPU fan that is going 100%. My question is: since my comp is a HP, does the fact that the fan goes 100% mean that the CPU is significantly overheating? If so, should I need a new CPU fan? And if that is also true, then what fan would you recommend? Thanks in advace

It just means its heating up, once it hits some threshold it bumps the fan to 100% to cool the processor down, since you say it only happens a few seconds at a time you are fine. If it was running 100% all the time then you'd need to monitor your temps to see if it continued to heat up or if it was stable.

You wouldn't replace just the fan, you'd need to replace the heatsink and fan. If its one of those smallish mid tower HPs with the media center stuff and the removable drive bay I wouldn't even mess with replacing the heatsink/fan. The one that is on it is likely a Cooler Master heat pipe which is about as good as you are going to get to work in that case.

well in that case, do you think I should add a fan to the back of my pc so that the CPU never reaches said threshold temperatures? Although it doesn't really bother me when I am gaming with headphones, it does get rather annoying when I am using speakers.

I highly doubt a single exhaust fan will prevent your CPU from reaching threshold temperatures. Unless you are experience system instability (it locks up or shuts down when you introduce any sort of load to the CPU for instance), I would just leave everything as is.

I know a good cheap cooling solution. A plastic baggy full of ice! Just rest it directly on top of your processor and shes good to go! Or if you live in Canada just put your computer outside on your windowsill, it'll keep her nice and cool at a good -20oc.

(I don't recommend doing any of these) :p

Yeah I don't think a back fan would help to much, a new heat sink or some new thermal paste might help. Maybe even leaving your side panels off the case can help get rid of some of that heat. Just be careful about what you put close to your computer though, static is a no no. So if you have cats like me that shed everywhere just watch out there not sleeping in it.

Whoops sorry didn't see those above, yeah if you have a pc like that cooling might be a bit harder...

It would help to have another exhaust fan, but I have one of those HPs and it seems almost instantly the fan kicks into high gear. I know it isn't, but it feels like the cpu usage in windows directly controls the fan speed. But in reality the fan just kicks in when the cpu cores get hot, you may be able to tweak at what temp it hits 100% in the BIOS, but I don't remember seeing that on mine.

I think the main reason is the fact that my video card greatly increased the heat in the system, which the heatsink/fan detects and assumes the system is overheating. Is there any freeware around the internet that allows manipulation of CPU fan speeds?

You can try Speedfan, but I've had horrible luck with it doing anything with fan speeds on several systems I've tried it on.

I've had poor experiences with it as well. You're probably better off buying a hardware fan controller. You can get basic ones for <$20.

So I installed speedfan, and it is as you guys said, useless. For some reason, there is an error collecting CPU Usage which means that the only thing I can do is see the core temperature (25 degrees Celcius at idle if you guys were wondering). I will take another look when the fan goes 100% and see what the reading is at that time.

You could add two fans; one exhaust on the back of the case and another on the side cover (assumin that you have grill work to accomodate) set to intake. One exhaust fan just won't do. It's better to add two at a time, plus they're cheap. Since you have an HP, I would ensure the fans connect to the pins of the motherboard instead of directly into the power couplings from the power supply. HP power supplies are notably underrated (much less than what they state) under stress. This is assuming your motherboard has the pin connectors to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back