CPU fan trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
The other day my computer shut off without warning and would not boot again unless I left it for a while. After hours of fiddling I realised that the longer I left it, the longer I could use it before it shut off again (fan trouble).

I bought a new fan and fitted it, but it still failed to work. Eventually I plugged the CPU fan into the terminal where the chasis fan plugs in to and it worked (brilliant!). The computer works fine again now but I am running with the side of the tower off to keep air circulating inside, as I have nowhere to plug the chasis fan.

I have three questions:

Is there some way I could have accidentally switched the power that runs to the CPU fan off, and if so, how can it be turned on again.

Is my motherboard corrupt or faulty?

If it is, could I run both fans from the outlet that is still working?

Kind Regards :)

Simon Booth

Welcome to TechSpot

Some boards have an option to shut down fans from BIOS, but I don't see how anyone could 'accidentally' do that.

Sometimes the fans require more current to start up than what the board can give, so they (the connectors) fail.

There is (usually) no practical difference in using system, case, cpu or any other fan connector present onboard, they're labeled just for monitoring purposes.

I am having probs with my pc fan and I was wondering if someone can help me? When I run Winamp or any other programs that will be running for a while (antivirus scans and video format converters etc) the pc just shuts down! If I leave the pc on the internet or just on doing nothing it is fine! I asked people who use Winamp, as this was how I first noticed the problem, what I could do to fix it. They said check all the fans and power management settings but they are all fine. When I went into the BIOS it said "Current CPU fan 4500RPM" BUT "Current system fan 0RPM"!! Is this bad, ok, normal, good etc and what do I do about it as I think the pc is shuting down because of the fan which it thinks is not working! Is this right?

Liam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back