CPU Fans go up significantly when I connect MacBook Pro to monitor

Hey guys, the issue here is that I can't keep my CPU Fans quiet at any point after I connect to my monitor, even if I have no programs running.

I am using:

- MacBook Pro '2012 10.7.5 with 2.4 GHz I7 and 8 GB of memory.
- Samsung Monitor connected to MacBookPro via a HDMI and the HDMI Mac converter

When I run my laptop with no programs running and no monitor attached is at like 2000 RPM max. Once I connect the monitor, with no programs running on either screen, the RPM jumps to up to and over 4000 sometimes, and the fan gets really loud.

Is there any settings or tricks I can use to minimize this? I figured that 8 GB of memory would be plenty to keep the fans somewhat quiet when I have no programs open and just the monitor attached.

Thanks for any help!

Search for "Activity Monitor" using the search bar in the top right hand corner of your screen. In the top right of Activity Monitor, left of the search where it says "My Processes", change it to "All Processes". Press the "% CPU" tab and tell me what processes are taking up a lot of CPU power.

You will have two setups, one for the Mac Pro and the other for the external monitor - - disable the Mac Pro monitor (ie using strictly the external) and then reduce the graphics support to it,
less resolution, no 3D

Back