Cpu for new alienware

Status
Not open for further replies.

that70sdude

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on techspot! Ok so anyways I was looking around for a new computer and I decided to go with a really cheap alienware. Well i was looking at the cpu and I need some help. A) what amd processor is good for gaming and B) should i go dual-core? I was looking at the amd 64 4000+ for a single core and for dual I cant decide( they all look better than what i got ). I am also aware of the new AM2 coming soon, well ok i just found out today :p( I'll buy a alienware when they make a compatable motherboard). What amd cpu's are gona be useing that. Oh and the fx series is just too much money. And one last thing money is a concern to me, so dont just say to go with the 4800+ :p. Thanks!

first of all Alienwares are not cheap, in fact they're quite expensive.

as far as the CPU is concerned, pretty much all AMD Athlon64's are good for gaming. obviously the higher the PR rating the better performance. just be sure to get a socket 939 platform and not a socket 754.

as far as single or dual core is concerned, applications written for single cores will run faster on a single core CPU than a dual core CPU. if you multitask then go dual core. but if you're strictly looking at game performance... then I would stay with a single core.

the video card will be the more important thing to consider when it comes to gaming. in most games the video card will have the biggest impact on performance. so if money's an issue then spend the extra on a better vid card vs. the better CPU

Also get at least 1GB of ram. You could go with the cheapiest CPU and still (maybe looking at how rediculiously over priced they are) get a a nice graphic card 7600 + and the ram.

Processor prices are at their high now...

Just get a custom built PC at a local store or build one, you'll save money and it's not too hard.

All I can say is that it's better to wait for AM2, that you buy a 939 or not. Why? 939 will get very cheap once AM2'll be out and since the first generation of AM2s have next to no performance difference, you're not losing anything on that side.

But, you could also get a small AM2 processor, with good RAM and a good mobo, and then just upgrade your processor with a nice 45nm quad-core in a year or two. The first AM2 mobos shouldn't have much problems since they use the same chipsets as the current 939s (Only the memory controller is changed, and it's in the processor)

I'd say anyone getting a new computer should be going dual core. Even if your sole purpose is gaming, the games coming out now are starting to utilize dual core CPUs (look at Oblivion for example).

DragonMaster said:
939 will get very cheap once AM2'll be out
how do you know this?

I don't think the prices will drop any significant amount, AMD will simply stop making s-939 CPUs, which will actually increase their demand and may actually raise the price.

Just look at socket A hardware, bartons still sell for over $100

I don't think the prices will drop any significant amount, AMD will simply stop making s-939 CPUs, which will actually increase their demand and may actually raise the price.

Great! ...

ok i really think i want to get the amd 64 4000+. Its seems pretty high in the benchmarks and is cheaper than dual cores. If i do get 4000+, how long would it last untill i would have to upgrade? Oh and can you upgrade from a singlecore to a dual core?

ok i really think i want to get the amd 64 4000+. Its seems pretty high in the benchmarks and is cheaper than dual cores. If i do get 4000+, how long would it last untill i would have to upgrade? Oh and can you upgrade from a singlecore to a dual core?

Quite a bit of time I'd say. An Athlon XP 2000+ with a good graphic card can run the latest games in 1024x768 w/o problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back