Cpu Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Due to my curious nature I recently removed my heatsink to see what my processor looks like. After replacing it and powering up my computer froze after about a minute. Having done a bit of searching I have read countless posts mentioning the need to apply thermal compound between the cpu and the heatsink which I didn't do. Now I have checked my cpu temperature after freezing and it is stable at 50 C and my system temp is at 30 c which doesn't seem to hot to me so can anyone tell me if applying thermal compound will sort this out.

I am not very technically minded so please be gentle.

Cheers

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Yes adding thermal compound will most likely sort your problem out.

First of all you will need to clean off all the old thermal compound/pad from the heatsink and cpu. A little Isopropyl alcohol should be used to do this.

Then get some good quality thermal paste I.E Artic silver and only put a small ammount on the cpu boss then spread it evenly with a finger inside a plastic bag.

Make sure that no thermal paste gets onto the circuitboard of the cpu.

Then carefully attatch the heatsink and you should be good to go.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I have tried this but the problem is still there.

I used Stars-612 thermal compound (is this the same as paste?). Also I didn't have any Isopropyl alcohol but there was little or no compound/ pad to get rid of.

My cpu temperature still doesn't seem to be getting that hot though (43 degrees C).

It nearly always freezes when I am downloading to my max bandwidth.

This is driving me insane as I have got loads of college work to be doing.

Any ideas?

Mmm maybe when you went inside your computer you have disturbed something.

Check all cables pci cards graphics card ram etc to make sure that everything is properly connected and seated.

Also check your mobo for signs of damage leaking capacitors etc.

When you first removed the heatsink did you also remove the cpu from it`s socket?

If so did you reinsert it properly are there any bent pins?

You say that your puter nearly always freezes when you are downloading is it ok apart from that?

Have you tried reinstalling the modem and drivers?

Regards Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back