CPU Heatsink Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a motherboard without a heatsink on it, but I have a few heatsinks that came from other motheboards. How van I get one of the other heatsinks to stay on the processor? They are too big to hook on, and I can't find a heatsink small enough to stay on. Can I just leave the heatsink sitting on the processor without anything attached to it? But then I wouldn't be able to have the computer stand upright. Could I glue the heatsink to the processor?

WEll, the PC I'm trying to put the motherboard into is an eMachines T2984. The motherboard and PSU died, and I have 4 other eMachines that have the same thing. I've already replaced the PSU, and I have a motherboard from an HP Pavilion 65-something. I don't have the original case, but it looks like this:
h(tt)p://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05156&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=60421 <--Remove the ()
I have the heatsinks from the 4 other eMachines.
I live in the US.

Replacing an emachine mobo with a non emachine mobo means you will need to buy a new windows cd as the emachine wont work nor will the install from the emachine.

It shouldnt cost very much to get a cheap heatsink and fan that has the correct fittings. The reason I asked where in the world you are is because i was going to suggest a trip to Maplins if you were in the UK as they do some pretty good and very cheap heatsinks. If maplin are in the US then have a look.

It's okay that the Windows install won't work; I have plenty of Windows CDs around. There is an equivalent to Malpins here called Fry's; I'll look there. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back