TechSpot

CPU Heatsink Questions

By upsguy27
Dec 20, 2007
  1. I have a motherboard without a heatsink on it, but I have a few heatsinks that came from other motheboards. How van I get one of the other heatsinks to stay on the processor? They are too big to hook on, and I can't find a heatsink small enough to stay on. Can I just leave the heatsink sitting on the processor without anything attached to it? But then I wouldn't be able to have the computer stand upright. Could I glue the heatsink to the processor?

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

A heatsink must be fitted correctly or you will end up with a fried cpu!

3. upsguy27

upsguy27 TS Rookie Topic Starter

So what should I do? Is there a way to fit a larger heatsink correctly without using the original heatsink?

4. Rik

I would need to know what pc you have and where you are in the world.

5. upsguy27

WEll, the PC I'm trying to put the motherboard into is an eMachines T2984. The motherboard and PSU died, and I have 4 other eMachines that have the same thing. I've already replaced the PSU, and I have a motherboard from an HP Pavilion 65-something. I don't have the original case, but it looks like this:
    h(tt)p://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05156&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=60421 <--Remove the ()
    I have the heatsinks from the 4 other eMachines.
    I live in the US.

6. Rik

Replacing an emachine mobo with a non emachine mobo means you will need to buy a new windows cd as the emachine wont work nor will the install from the emachine.

It shouldnt cost very much to get a cheap heatsink and fan that has the correct fittings. The reason I asked where in the world you are is because i was going to suggest a trip to Maplins if you were in the UK as they do some pretty good and very cheap heatsinks. If maplin are in the US then have a look.

7. upsguy27

It's okay that the Windows install won't work; I have plenty of Windows CDs around. There is an equivalent to Malpins here called Fry's; I'll look there. Thanks for your help!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.