TechSpot

CPU Help

By acacia666avenue
Nov 16, 2007
  1. I was wondering if i was better off buying the core 2 quad 2.4 GHz cpu or the core 2 duo 3.0 GHz cpu. I amcurrently running on a Pentium D 2.8 GHz, so i plan to upgrade to one of those two for christmas. I primarily use my cpu for multimedia and gaming. So if you would tell me your oppinions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

That would depend on what your motherboard will handle. Look at the specs for the board and go for the best chip to suit.

3. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 718

If you are gonna get serious about gaming you may want the extra speed that the New 3 gig/1333 FSB core 2 duo could reach. It's true though, your question depends on your board. Include the exact make and model. A 3 ghz core 2 duo can reach higher speeds than the Q6600 quad. I am running the 2.4 ghz quad but am planning on buying the 6850 also if I feel the need to get more intense on some games.

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

and remember that the faster you go you need to think about the PSU to support this. What is your current PSU rated wattage?

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

A Quad-Core CPU is the way to go right now. A simple overclock will have you hitting 3GHz in no time, although you would need an aftermarket cooler for it. But a good one isn't very expensive and with new and upcoming games\apps being optimized for multiple cores, it only makes sense to go down that road.

6. acacia666avenue

acacia666avenue TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 88

my power supply is 600 watts, and the motherboard im thinking about getting is the evga 680i T1 or A1.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.