Cpu installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwyzdreamin04

so my brothers computers been messed up and wouldn't start, well i finally bought a motherboard for it after testing everything else pretty much. I installed everything. I installed the cpu or attempted to and it wouldn't go in. I bent the pins trying to put it in, but thats not a big deal because he wanted to upgrade to p4 from celeron so what was i doing wrong when i was trying to put it in?
It came out of the motherboard just fine but going back in was a whole other story.

Its a dell 2400, the cpu socket is 478 and has a heat sink attached to it. it has these green things on the sides of the sink and they would go in on only one side. the cpu would only go in on one side too. any idea what i did wrong trying to get it in?

(unless dell is just screwing us over and not letting me be able to put it back in?)

how? i typed in that p/n number along time ago which was how i found the motherboard.

i mean how do i see what type it is? what can i check to find out?

installing a cpu should be near effortless. If you had to force it - it was either oriented wrong or the wrong type (or both).

the same pieces that came off the other motherboard were the same ones i put on the new motherboard. the only possiblity to why it wouldn't go would be the motherboard was wrong, but this motherbaord was specifically for my brothers computer...at least thats what it said where i bought it. i got it from a place online called ascendtech or something like that. it was listed as a replacement mobo for dell 2400.
so how can i tell if i got the right motherboard?

Wisdom of the Ages....

A wise man once told me... "never force anything, get a bigger hammer".

Sorry, I have very little self restraint, and even less character.

Bent pins aren't good.

The CPU will only go into the slot in one way, any other way and you'd end up with bent pins. And this is assuming you've got the correct motherboard with the correct CPU in the first place.

Now, you can try unbending the pins, and line up the golden triangle to the notch, or something like that. If you break off a single pin, its game over.

Even bent pins can ruin the CPU, I can't count how many times UPS has destroyed my CPUs by bending the pins before delivery.

you need to check your motherboard model and get with the manufactuer to see what CPUs it will take. This is common sense. I'm sorry, but I have to laugh because what you did was really moronic. If you don't know what you're doing, get help first. CPU installation should be near effortless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back