Cpu is running way too hot.

By Zer0s
Jan 15, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

Lately I been having a problem with my computer overheating. So first I went and installed Mother Board Monitor 5 and it is telling me that my cpu diode is 76 degrees celsius and the socket is at 59. The alarm kept going off on the cpu diode so I was forced to shut it off. The computer will shutdown under a load if I don't have my room at an extreamly cold temperature. My CPU is an AMD athlon xp 2200+ and my motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Revision 1.04. Please help me fix this!

Mike
  2. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

Hi Zer0s and welcome to TechSpot :)

if your CPU is overheating then:

1. your CPU fan died
      • replace CPU fan or replace entire heatsink/fan
    2. your CPU fan is clogged with dust
      • if it gets clogged with so much dust that it stops spinning, it's probably dead or about to die, and should be replaced
    3. your heatsink is caked with dust
      • use a can of compressed air to remove the dust from the heatsink fins
    4. your heatsink is not making good contact with the CPU core, or
    5. the stock thermal pad/grease has dried up, either way you must:
      • ground yourself > remove heatsink > clean heatsink and CPU core with isopropyl alcohol > apply new thermal compound to CPU core > re-seat heatsink

cheers :wave:
  3. Zer0s

Zer0s Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well the thing is pretty old. I think I will just buy a new one. Any recommendations for a socket a?
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,455   +288

Why would you replace it? In doing so you'd have to do step 5 of KingCody's post anyway. Just do that.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.