TechSpot

CPU is to hot. I Think its the retail heatsink. Please Help

By PCTechie316
May 24, 2005
  1. have a brand new amd athlon 3400 processor in my my new computer. The processor came with a retail heatsink and it said i need to use that one or the warrenty would void. So I put the processor on and put the heatsink on and everything went on right. I'm monitoring my computer and the cpu temp is at 63 C when its using 100% load. When it's not its has about 49 - 51 C temp. I ran Prime 95 for about 3 hours and the proccesor stayed at about 63 - 64 C with no errors. But now I installed cpuidel and prime runs at
    59 C. So the processor is stable, it just needs to lower the temp. How can i lower the temp. I was told to remove the heatsink and get a nice one and put arcitc thermal compound on it. I think its just the retail heatsink is so crappy. It even came with a pad insted of paste. What can I do?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.