Cpu is too hot hot hot!!! any assistance appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is simple and common, my cpu is getting too hot (than ever before).

The players involved
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136151

ZALMAN RESERATOR 1 Plus Fanless Water Cooling System (Reservoir+Radiator+Water Pump
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118120

Background Info-

It used to run 40C idle/60-65C load even when I played resource-consuming games.

I'm fairly sure it isn't the cooling system as I've emptied/cleaned it and refilled it twice and its been running water (maybe slowly) but nonetheless running.

The way I've diagnosed the problem is basically going into the CMOS program and watching my cpu heat up from 35C to 70-80-90C in about 5-10 minutes. I believe there could be a short in my motherboard or a defect in my cpu....I'm not sure which (or maybe both) What is more common?

It CAN run windows x64 and x32 (i have both) fine for the time while it is not too hot...obviously when it does get too hot it either a) restarts b) shuts down c) freezes or error.

Can anyone give any insight on what the culprit can be and (if possible) how to fix it? I've tried clearing the cmos but to no avail. Arctic silver slows down the heating process but can't stop it.

Thanks for any help

When this happened to me, I didn't know what the hell was going on. Turns out the heatsink was improperly mounted. Go check your heatsink to see if it is not halfway in.

Well either way the cpu is supposed to make 100 percent contact with whatever cooling device is on it. Make sure it is making complete contact, cause even if it seems like it is, it might not. That is what happened to me.

sellmesanity is right, if your heatsink/waterblock does not make good contact with the CPU then the heat cannot be transferred efficiently.

what are you using inbetween the CPU and waterblock? (i.e. arctic silver, etc.)

KingCody said:
sellmesanity is right, if your heatsink/waterblock does not make good contact with the CPU then the heat cannot be transferred efficiently.

what are you using inbetween the CPU and waterblock? (i.e. arctic silver, etc.)

yep arctic silver.

Check your power supply. is it within spec to run a demanding system? yours may not be able to handle the juice.

Power supply? Man that isn't why his computer is overheating. Really check to see the contact of the waterblock, I mean check it! Use a magnifying glass or something, or wiggle it with your hand lightly. If that isn't it, my best guess is that the water itself isn't cool...but most likely the water block isn't making 100 percent contact.

sellmesanity said:
Power supply? Man that isn't why his computer is overheating.

Actually with a liquid cooling system it could be. If the PSU is near,at,or above its limit it may not be provideing enough power for the pump to work effectively. Which can reduce flow significantly and raise water temp. I agree that the most likely cause is that the waterblock is not in full contact but a underpowered PSU could also be the problem.

sellmesanity said:
Ah man I feel like an ***** now. OH WELL, you live and you learn! Yeah, power supply..could be...

Actually you were right I just looked it up and found that the Zalman Reserator has its own external powersupply so the computer's psu would have no affect on flow.Sorry to provide misinformation since most liquid cooling units use the computer's psu I thought this one did too untill I looked it up. It almost has to be inproper contact of the waterblock or a problem with the liquid cooling unit.Obstructions/kinks in the hose,a bad pump,etc.

PS: I also found that pump failuers in the reserator 1 are not that uncommon and replaceing the pump is dificult.

hmm I'll have to check that pump again. Another question is, could damage to the CPU or motherboard caused this slow increase in heat? Could this damage exist even if the computer boots up fine into windows and can operate normally in the time that the cpu is within operating temperatures? thanks

xerostar said:
hmm I'll have to check that pump again. Another question is, could damage to the CPU or motherboard caused this slow increase in heat? Could this damage exist even if the computer boots up fine into windows and can operate normally in the time that the cpu is within operating temperatures? thanks

Yes damage to the CPU and/or motherboard can cause overheating but it also usually results in failure to boot,significantly degraded preformance,significantly increased errors,and possibly other problems. A short only causeing overheating and no other symptoms is extremly rare but it can happen.

now i feel like the *****....for whatever reason i didnt take into account that the watercooling systems have their own power supply....man that would really drain a system of power

Surkitz said:
now i feel like the *****....for whatever reason i didnt take into account that the watercooling systems have their own power supply....man that would really drain a system of power

don't feel too bad most watercooling systems do use the computer's PSU to power the pump and fan the reserator is one of a few exceptions that has it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back