CPU Multiplier changes /w application

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

Well, I don't know how to explain this and the best way to show you what I mean would be pictures. I have 2 programs monitoring my CPU and other important hardware.
Basically, when I'm not running any CPU intensive games/apps then my Multiplier drops from x9 to x6, cutting my CPU speed by 1/3, making it 2GHz.

Some other things I've noticed, my DRAM freq have dropped by half, they are supposed to be set at 800MHz, which is non OC. They are currently at 400.

I've also seen my "Current" CPU speed drop to about 1150 depending on what I'm doing. It does it so rarely and if I try to get one of my programs running to monitor it, it goes back to 2.0 or 3.0 GHz.

Now I could be wrong on some of my thoughts, but you look at the dump file and my screen shots and tell me what you think.

Is the changing speed normal?

Well, I don't know how to explain this and the best way to show you what I mean would be pictures. I have 2 programs monitoring my CPU and other important hardware.
Basically, when I'm not running any CPU intensive games/apps then my Multiplier drops from x9 to x6, cutting my CPU speed by 1/3, making it 2GHz.

Some other things I've noticed, my DRAM freq have dropped by half, they are supposed to be set at 800MHz, which is non OC. They are currently at 400.

I've also seen my "Current" CPU speed drop to about 1150 depending on what I'm doing. It does it so rarely and if I try to get one of my programs running to monitor it, it goes back to 2.0 or 3.0 GHz.

Now I could be wrong on some of my thoughts, but you look at the dump file and my screen shots and tell me what you think.

Is the changing speed normal?

Everything is normal. Modern day Intel CPUs lower their multiplier when they are not taxed. They also lower the core voltage along with it to save energy. They rev up to their regular speeds when they are loaded. Your DDR2 speed is correct. Your DDR2 runs at 400Mhz, but transfers twice the data per clock as a DDR1 400Mhz chip, this making it the equivalent of a 800Mhz chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back