TechSpot

CPU multiplyers

By mrslippyfist
May 8, 2003
  1. Hi, I've just bought a new athlon xp 2400+, but it won't work in my computer, I have a soltek drv75 4 motherboard which is 266fsb, but will only accept a maximum of 12.5X multiplyer, and unfortunatly this cpu requires 15X, is there a way to adjust this, or even force the cpu to run at 12.5X for now.
    I've tried looking for bios updates, and although there is a bios update to fix it, my motherboard revision is too old and doesn't support it. Any ideas would be appreciated

2. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine TS Rookie Posts: 325

Go ahead and boot it up at with a multiplyer of 12.5, and raise your FSB up a bit. (a little ata time, of course)

150 +- seems to be a normal max on 266 mobo's

I don't think the cpu is locked, and should run at about any multiplyer you have. Does it not boot up?

3. mrslippyfist

mrslippyfist TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 50

I don't think thoroughbreds are locked, but it won't boot, whatever fsb i set. Could the cpu be dead?
    The manufacturer website does say that it isn't supported, http://www.soltek.com.tw/English/faq/75DRV4.htm (I only have a P2 revision board) so i wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't work
    If i can't get it to work, what would be the best Nforce 2 board to get, preferably with support for unlocked processors, so that i can get the fsb up to 166 easily.

4. Maybe your mobo doesn't support that processor speed or fsb, etc.

5. mrslippyfist

I know it doesn't support it officially, but I bought it before i checked, stupidly. But i thought it might run at a lower multiplyer setting, apparently not.

6. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine TS Rookie Posts: 325

The multiplyer shouldn't matter, I'm wondering if your mobo is recognizing it or not. I'm guessing your mobo doesn't know what voltage to send to the cpu.........

7. mrslippyfist

Hmm, the cpu is supposed to run at 1.65 volts, i could force the board to run at that, but its meant to recognise it automatically

8. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Do you have the P4 version? If not I think your SOL =\

9. mrslippyfist

Sorted the problem, the motherboard was just too old i guess. Just got me a Abit NF7 nforce 2 board, works fine and i can overclock it easily to 2800+ speed without mods, tis great.
    Thanks for the help anyway

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.