CPU not compatable with motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrybody

I have installed a new Foxconn Motherboard (K7S741GXMG-6L) along with new ram, and power supply. I reused my old Athlon XP2000+ (Socket A) CPU. When I powered the system on and tried to enter BIOS I got nothing. I smelled a slight burnt oder so I powered the system off. Upon checking the Motherboard manufactures website I now see that the XP 2000 + is not supported. The closest processor supported is the 2100+. All the fans and front pannel lights work. The drive lights all come on(except for the floppy) I tried reseting the BIOS, but still nothing. My next step is to install a new Sempron 2500+ CPU and heatsink,which is supported. What would clue me to wether my MB was damaged? Should I risk it?

i THINK you have damaged your cpu maybe mobo as well. I think given that your floppy light is not on, I think you may have shorted something on the mobo. My suggestion is that you can try the cpu on the mobo, if that didn't power up, then your mobo is not working.

you can try to boot a 2100+ processor (reset the bios before do that) in this mobo and try to boot your 2000+ in other to see if it´s dead or not.

but, a bad notice: if you smell something... it´s probably BAD!
:(

good luck!

Let me get this straight, your motherboard will not support an AMD Athlon XP 2000+, but will support an AMD Athlon XP 2100+. That is not true, that motherboard will support AMD Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP, and Sempron. It will support all sizes of processors as long as it is Socket 462.

That's pretty strange, I have the same motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ at my shop and all works perfectly...I have a used XP 2000+ processor, I will pop it in the board when I get to the shop this morning. But you are correct, it does not list anything below 2100+ as being compatible....doesn't make alot of sense to me. I'll let ya know how it goes shortly.

jettwo and others have suggested the cpu should work and i totally agree.

You might try a full bios re-set, consult the mobo manual as the method can vary a bit. I know you said you did it, just double checking.

You might also try and contact the mfgr via email and ask them about it.

If you have it all in a case it could be grounded improperly, a brass standoff causing a problem, suggest you take all out of the case and go with just the minimum to get the pc to boot. Set the mobo on a piece of cardboard to protect the bottom. Maybe its already out of the case?

And make sure you have used thermal paste or pad and you have installed the athlon xp correct, sometimes people install it backwards. The raised edge of the heatsink has to fit over the cpu socket.

Double check all connections.
The slight odor may be coming from the power supply and may not be harmful.
You want to follow proper antistatic methods while doing this.

I have just tried the AMD Athlon XP 2000+ in this motherboard...it works fine. I do suggest for you to use thermal paste and like nork said, make sure the cpu heatsink is turned the correct direction - there is a raised area that fits over the wide end of the cpu socket...I have a couple computers a month come into my shop that has a fried processor due to mis-installed cpu coolers. It could be simply that you got a bad motherboard, it happens.

larrybody, im totally with jetmo on this one, it will work if installed correct. You have to re-set bios to get into bios to set parameters for this cpu, right fsb and multiplier.

I suggest you go back to my other post and take all out of the case and go from there. Also, you mentioned the floppy light not coming in. Its always possible its not installed correct, so unhook it for now.

nork said:
larrybody, im totally with jetmo on this one, it will work if installed correct. You have to re-set bios to get into bios to set parameters for this cpu, right fsb and multiplier.

I suggest you go back to my other post and take all out of the case and go from there. Also, you mentioned the floppy light not coming in. Its always possible its not installed correct, so unhook it for now.
But all the stuff thats happening seems very indicative of a mobo failure doesn't it? I mean, when my mobo got screwed, the same thing happened. Every light comes on but no boot screen. Thats only my opinion though.

Most certainly it could very well be that the board is fried.
For my part, i am trying to make sure, doing all i can to help larrybody.
I quit a professional forum i was at for many years to try this one out. Anyway, for many years i have seen threads like this one and i, with others, have helped people get their pc's going when they thought all was lost.
However, its fairly easy to fry an amd athlon xp board, i have heard, so, sure it could be. But i work on the assumption its not fried until all avenues are totally exhausted, lol.
I think i have seen and heard everything, everthing that is, except for some of the newer chipsets and boards, hard to keep up with them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back