CPU overheating rapidly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP Pro SP2 x32
AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz
Asus A8N-E SKT939
4x 512MB PC3200 DDR400 CL2.5 RAM Corsair
ATI Radeon x550 PCI-E

My CPU in windows according to EVEREST idles at 38-42'c. When I play Risk 2, a game that seems demanding as minesweeper, my CPU temperature rises rapidly to 70'c+ and overheats causing my computer to reboot.

What the heck is going on? I've cleaned out my fans and heatsink with compressed air, inspected everything and it looks fine; I don't understand why my CPU overheats from such an application.

Those idling temps are normal I think, but your load temps are definitely too high.

What PSU do you have?

Also, have you tried reapplying the thermal grease between the heatsink and the CPU heat spreader?

It might sound rediculous, but do you have the heatsink on backwards?

The photo below shows a heatsink being put on backwards. The arrows indicate the correct way to place it. The cut-away area of the heatsink needs to be fit over top appropriate side of the socket.

heatsinkinvert.jpg

My power supply is NSpire 450W-24 PIN DUal-BBFan ATX.

As for my CPU and heatsink placement, my whole system was put together by the business I bought it from as a total package and has a 2 year warranty; so I'm unaware as of how they placed it and the quality of pastes they applied. Another thing I noticed is that the fan is blowing onto the heatsink and not away; I did read that some heatsink is designed for that purpose so I'm not too considered about that but did observe.

When I call them, they never ask to bring it in they just tell me to clean out the fans and tell me that it's definately the dust inside; yawn.. I'm very depressed about purchasing this computer as the support they offer doesn't make me feel like a satisfied customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back