CPU Overheating Shutdown

Hi all,

My CPU (around 3 years old) has recently started shutting down randomly, which I suspect is due to a faulty cooling fan but I'd love to get confirmation on that before I buy anything new. Recently the fan has been getting louder and louder but for the first time today I have been experiencing random shut downs. This has happened 3 times today. After the second I unplugged, opened the chassis went in with a damp cloth and cleaned the power supply fan and cooling fan. The power supply fan seemed to have a lot more caked dust than the cooling. I let it be for over an hour or so then went to go power up again. It seemed to work like a charm, but to check I visited my BIOS settings. (I've attached a photo of what I saw) Initially the levels seemed normal, but as I went to go use it I can tell that there was escalation going on (the fan started to get loud again). Is this definitely a fan problem or could it be the power supply? Can you suggest what any other issues might be at play based on my photo? I'm putting my equipment models below. Thx!

Power Supply
Rosewill CAPSTONE-450 - 450-Watt Active PFC Power Supply - Continuous @ 122 Deg. F (50C), 80 PLUS Gold, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, Intel Haswell, SLI & CrossFire-Ready

Fan:
Cooler Master Hyper T4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

Attachments

• IMG_4607.PNG
    IMG_4607.PNG
    814.1 KB · Views: 1
Hot stuff...
- dust, clean it
- thermal paste, replace it
- dusty fan, clean it
- bad fan, replace it (unless you are handy, and able to take it apart, clean, lube)
- wiring inside case, bundle and route so not interfering with ventilation

Back