Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok first let me tell you what I have
    P4 3.0E Prescott core
    ASUS P4P800S-X
    Radeon 9600xt
    WD 120 SATA
    SB Audigy2
    Kingston DDR400 1 GIG Ram

Ok with that being said. I have had some trouble with my CPU running hot. 81 C
    So I upgraded my cooling to the Thermaltake Silent Tower CL-P0025http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025silentTower.htm
    and my Video card cooler to the CoolMaster VHC-L61http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=VHC-L61&other_title=0

My CPU still runs 52 C which is to hot. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this problem. Intel says that the Prscott can safely run at 90 C but My Mobo shut my system off when it hits 81 C I just biult this system in Feb. I have 8 case fans in my system as well. Please Help.
  2. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,382

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Is this P4 3.0E Prescott core stock settings or oc?
    "My CPU still runs 52°c which is to hot." fasle
    Is this under load or idle temps?
    60°c is average for stable system any cpu make.
    81°c shut down seems a good place too.
  3. DarkWolf29805

DarkWolf29805 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

That temp is at idle. I say it is to hot because it used to run at 30- 35. I had it oc to 3.3 but now it back to stock 3.0 and running at 51
  4. SOcRatEs

OC'ing generally requires going to the next level of cooling.
    I do not trust heat pipe systems and us a themaltake big water sys
    on my p4 2.4 @ 2.88 20%+. As I learn more about oc'ing, I see
    that 25% increase with stability, is a good target.

stability = prime95 torture test for minimum of 6 hours.

You might even want to run prime 95 on your stock settings and watch your
    temps.
    IMO

In all, how has your system been performing @ these different temps?
    I use everest to monitor temps
  5. SOcRatEs

What PSU do you have?
  6. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

with only a 0.3MHz overclock, you shouldn't even notice a difference in temps, even if you do, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

50°C~60°C is normal temps, when you say it was running in the 30°C range, what have you physically changed (not soft, like OC'ing) since then that your temps almost doubled?? have you removed the HSF??
  7. DarkWolf29805

I have not changed anything. I know my video card went bad. The fan quit on it. I am waiting for my replacement now.I play alot of BF2 thats what I was doing when it started acting up. I am hoping once my new card gets here it will get better. I am using a S3 ViRGE right now just to be able to get online. I changed the heatsink and fan to the one listed above after the problem arose. I was using factory cooling prior to that.
  8. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

but you didn't remove the HSF prior to the temp change?

either way, I would remove it again, clean both the CPU and HSF with isopropyl alcohol, let them dry, apply thermal paste/grease, and re-seat it

*everybody always says use arctic silver, I use generic white grease and my temps are always below 45°C even under full load with stock cooling (and i'm overclocked from 1.8GHz stock to 2.5GHz stable)
  9. DarkWolf29805

I cleaned the surfaces when i installed the after market cooler. it loweredd the temp by 5 c before install it was running at 60 to 65 c on factory cooling. I think my vidcard was the cause. It should be here today so I will update after install.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.