Ok first let me tell you what I have
P4 3.0E Prescott core
ASUS P4P800S-X
Radeon 9600xt
WD 120 SATA
SB Audigy2
Kingston DDR400 1 GIG Ram

Ok with that being said. I have had some trouble with my CPU running hot. 81 C
So I upgraded my cooling to the Thermaltake Silent Tower CL-P0025http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025silentTower.htm
and my Video card cooler to the CoolMaster VHC-L61http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=VHC-L61&other_title=0

My CPU still runs 52 C which is to hot. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this problem. Intel says that the Prscott can safely run at 90 C but My Mobo shut my system off when it hits 81 C I just biult this system in Feb. I have 8 case fans in my system as well. Please Help.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Is this P4 3.0E Prescott core stock settings or oc?
"My CPU still runs 52°c which is to hot." fasle
Is this under load or idle temps?
60°c is average for stable system any cpu make.
81°c shut down seems a good place too.

That temp is at idle. I say it is to hot because it used to run at 30- 35. I had it oc to 3.3 but now it back to stock 3.0 and running at 51

OC'ing generally requires going to the next level of cooling.
I do not trust heat pipe systems and us a themaltake big water sys
on my p4 2.4 @ 2.88 20%+. As I learn more about oc'ing, I see
that 25% increase with stability, is a good target.

stability = prime95 torture test for minimum of 6 hours.

You might even want to run prime 95 on your stock settings and watch your
temps.
IMO

In all, how has your system been performing @ these different temps?
I use everest to monitor temps

with only a 0.3MHz overclock, you shouldn't even notice a difference in temps, even if you do, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

50°C~60°C is normal temps, when you say it was running in the 30°C range, what have you physically changed (not soft, like OC'ing) since then that your temps almost doubled?? have you removed the HSF??

I have not changed anything. I know my video card went bad. The fan quit on it. I am waiting for my replacement now.I play alot of BF2 thats what I was doing when it started acting up. I am hoping once my new card gets here it will get better. I am using a S3 ViRGE right now just to be able to get online. I changed the heatsink and fan to the one listed above after the problem arose. I was using factory cooling prior to that.

but you didn't remove the HSF prior to the temp change?

either way, I would remove it again, clean both the CPU and HSF with isopropyl alcohol, let them dry, apply thermal paste/grease, and re-seat it

*everybody always says use arctic silver, I use generic white grease and my temps are always below 45°C even under full load with stock cooling (and i'm overclocked from 1.8GHz stock to 2.5GHz stable)

I cleaned the surfaces when i installed the after market cooler. it loweredd the temp by 5 c before install it was running at 60 to 65 c on factory cooling. I think my vidcard was the cause. It should be here today so I will update after install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back