CPU overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is that my CPU had been overheating ( going above 90c and auto shutting off)when ever doing anything intensive like playing a video game like vanguard or oblivion for about 15 min or even just working on the computer for a long period of time (it maintains above 60c when just browsing internet). When this happens the computer shuts down and the mother board makes the beep code for overheating. I just bought the processor in December and this happened to me a few months ago but only lasted a few days and now it’s started again and has been happening for 2 days now. I have a ventilation fan in the front of the system but it does not seem to have any effect. i even tried taking the side off and pointing a box fan into it and it still raises, although much slower. Do you have any suggestions or know why this just comes up so suddenly?

The processor is a AMD Athlon 64 4000 SanDiego Core Socket 939 CPU
The motherboard is a Mach Speed Viper MK8-939A Socket 939 with Phoenix - Award Workstation BIOS v6.00PG bios
Heat sink is a Masscool AMD K8 Cooler Fan
Power supply is a Ultra 350w V-Series PSU
My OS is windows vista

Are you sure that your heatsink is properly installed? My CPU is/was overheating (although not THAT much), because I needed to use more thermal grease, and was poorly mounted :eek:

Is yours installed correctly?

Make sure there's not any wires holding down your CPU fan.

That really looks like a thermal paste/heatsink problem though. I suppose it could be a PSU problem, though? Incorrect voltages and such?

I had the same problem with the same board. What fixed the problem was discovering that a front USB connector on the case had went bad and shorted. I corrected this short and the overheating problem went away. You can try disconnecting the leads going to the front USB connectors to see if this works for you.
Later, for good measure, I used a high quality heat sink compound (Arctic Silver) for the CPU.

you said the fans arent making any different make sure all your fans are pushing air the same way. My friend made a mistake and had all his fans pulling air in, and also keeping the hot air in, big trouble.

You said you reinstalled it, did that include using thermal paste? Cleaning off the dust helps, but not if your overheating was caused by lack of thermal paste in the first place.

Also, make sure you remove all the old thermal paste first. If you just left the old one hoping that it'll work, it won't.

Also, you'll need a back exhaust fan. You didn't mention anything about your other fans....

Can't find too much info about your cooler, maybe a link if you've got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back