CPU Overheatting

By datunte
Nov 3, 2006
  1. Hello all,

Building a system and the CPU is overheating. I can get to CMOS and watch the CPU temp go to 110 then the computer shuts off. The case is open because I am still working on it, and the CPU fan is running @ 3119 RPM. Any ideas to help?

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

What make/model is the CPU? Assuming that temp is in celcius, yes you are overheating.

Did you apply thermal paste (or use the pad)? I'd start by re-seating it with some new paste.
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

110C is a blistering hot temperature for any CPU. I think dust is the main culprit. Try removing the heatsink and cleaning it out, or have someone do it for u if u don't know how to, since if u do it wrong, u can screw up ur CPU.
  4. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

What CPU is i? At those temps, if it where an Athlon 64, It would have shut off at 80-90 C. Sounds like a P4.

Maybe you just got a bad CPU. Overvotage anyone?

reset BIOS.
  5. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

if youre running intel processor, the speed should be >5000rpm like me and chance of OH is less. 3000rpm is slow...
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

It depends on the type of core too. Old Williamette core CPUs have their heatsink fans running at around 3300 RPM. Newer Prescott ones (which have a tendency to run very hot BTW) have fans running at around 5100 RPM.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.