CPU Overload

By Gerry K
Sep 4, 2006
  1. I have noticed that my CPU registers at 100 percent via the Task manager when I start my browser, or for that matter when I activate any program. Is there anything I can do to correct the overload problem. It is only a temporary overload, but is it a natural process? I have run CCleaner, Defrag, and tools in IE 6.0 to clear my cache and delete temporary files. I have a 400 Mhg processor, Gateway computer, 512 Ram, Windows XP. I have stopped programs from starting using the msconfig. I run the ATT Yahoo browser DSL. Is a new computer with Vista in my future? I don't play games, just normal everyday computer functions.

Thank You

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

400mhz gateway pc with windows xp???? The only way you will fix your problem is to bin the pc and get something better. Its just too old and slow for xp.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

lions, tigers, and sasquaches oh my!

You're trying to run XP on a dinosaur?
  4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Unless you need XP for compatibility reasons, it would be much smarter, faster, and wiser to run 98SE on your machine. I know its not as pretty but it will be much much faster.
  5. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

I wouldnt even run 98 on a 400mhz pc...

The computer is just simply ancient.

6. Rik

Best thing to do with that pc is to use it as a door stop while you fit a better pc in.
  7. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

Actually, I don't think any of you guys have experienced a 400 mhz running XP. I used to have a 450 mhz with 192 MB RAM running XP and it actually ran very well. No noticeable difference in speed. If you MUST know the 3dmark score from that machine, it was 278 in 3dMark2001 SE ... probably less than 0 in 06 :p but there wasnt any speed difference between running XP or 98 on it. Trust me. I was stuck with it for 5 years.
  8. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 170

If you turn off every piece of eyecandy that comes with XP, it will run pretty well. To the OP; try disabling all the effects that is on by default.
  9. Rik

I used to have a p3 350mhz and i put xp on it only to find i had just wasted all that money on an xp disk and put 2000 back on it.
  10. ---agissi---

Lesson Learnt: A little research never helps, no matter what the subject :)
  11. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

I turn of the eyecandy (most of it) on my computer as well, so the start menu and other Xp components run as fast as lightning!
  12. Gerry K

Gerry K TS Rookie Topic Starter

What eye candy are you referring to and how do I go about turning it off without getting myself into trouble?
  13. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 170

RClick My computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Settings (under Visual effects, etc) and click "adjust for best performance"
  14. felixn@pacbell.

felixn@pacbell. TS Rookie

CPU tempererily overloaded

Gerry, I have the same exact problem.
    I have XP Home on a laptop with 1.8GHz processor and 1Gig or RAM.
    Non of these guys can claim its not fast enough to run XP, ignore them.
    It use to run OK but now it does exactly what you are stating.
    At the time a program starts there is a long period of HDD activity and CPU Load is 100%. If I am running an application with sound or video, the sound and video start to statter and/or freeze until the second program finishes loading.
    I have done all the stuff recomended, virus check, defrag, disable startups, disable eyecandy, spy ware removal, etc. No effect.
    If you ever find out what the problem is please let me know.
  15. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Hello and Welcome to Techspot!! :)

I'd recommend to do a full format to XP. That should allow you to get the fastest performance.

If it's still slow, MAYBE, your hard drive is a little slow. A 7200RPM drive, should work way faster on XP. Still, a 5400RPM drive, properly configured, defragmented, etc, should work good on XP.

EDIT: Make sure you have the latest video, audio & chipset drivers, also, the latest DirectX version, which is 9.0c
  16. ---agissi---

Ive used both 5400 RPM drives and 7200RPM drives on WinXP, and everything pops up or starts up 2 or 3 seconds faster on the 7200rpm drive.
  17. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Well, I used before a 5400RPM HDD, and installed X program in 30 minutes.

Believe it or not, the same X program, now installs in less than 5 minutes :eek:

And the old drive was defragmented, no viruses, spyware, etc.

It seems that the 7200RPM's and the 8MB cache made a great difference :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.