CPU Problem

dassan

[FONT=Verdana]hey guys I have a Phenom IIx4 940 BE 3 Ghz CPU and its normal base clock is 200 and multiplier is 15. When I play games I have mini freezes all the time even at lower settings of game but no problem when I m not playing a game. But if I lower the multiplier to 13 and make it 2600 Mhz , I have no freezes at all even at ultra settings. There wasnt a problem like this before, this happened after I used the Auto Tune in AMD Overdrive section of AMD Vision Engine Control Center.That program tried till 3700 mhz and when it s 3700 mhz my computer freezed. My cpu s burned or something what s the problem here? And there s a chance that CPU Overdrive Auto Tune made and dmg to my graphics card GPU? I be happy if u help guys thanks.[/FONT]

Well, to establish whether you have done damage to your CPU or GPU, you should run some stress tests and see if the PC freezes.

Run Prime 95 to test the CPU, and then run FurMark to test the GPU.

If you get a freeze during either of these, we can establish where the problem lays.

Well, to establish whether you have done damage to your CPU or GPU, you should run some stress tests and see if the PC freezes.

Run Prime 95 to test the CPU, and then run FurMark to test the GPU.

If you get a freeze during either of these, we can establish where the problem lays.

Not yet. dassan Are you using the stock cooler? What CPU cooler do you have?

Well that is your problem!!! Do not overclock with the stock cooler. Buy a Hyper 212 Evo if you want to do some light to medium duty OCing.

So my cpu is dmged now? While I was doing that auto-tune it was giving 1.725 volts to my CPU normally it doesnt go to that number I think.

Not yet. dassan Are you using the stock cooler? What CPU cooler do you have?

Woops, I forgot to mention to check the temperatures as well :p
So my cpu is dmged now? While I was doing that auto-tune it was giving 1.725 volts to my CPU normally it doesnt go to that number I think.

I don't think the CPU would be "damaged" as such. Like I said, stress the CPU at the stock speeds, and I don't believe you will see any problems.

Your CPU was probably freezing when you overclocked because it got too hot. Overclocking with a stock cooler isn't a recommended activity. Like JC said, get yourself a Hyper 212 Evo, and give overclocking another go. :)

It isnt damaged, but the lifespan will be greatly reduced if you run a CPU under high heat for long periods of time.

[FONT=verdana]I did used Hwmonitor. Played Grid 2 on 2400(200x13)MHZ, on Auto (200x15) and on 3400 (200x17)Mhz. There was no small freezes on 2400 mhz but on auto and 3400 mhz there were freezes tho they started after 4-5 mins of gaming. Min numbers on Hwmonitor is while on idle and max numbers are gaming. [/FONT]

3K4qDzSMoVKeilO29xvSdK88C.jpg

It looks like the CPU is hitting 80c no matter what overclock you have. Your Idle temps are also pretty high.

Definitely yourself a Hyper 212 EVO if you plan to run any sort of overclock, and I still recommend you get it even if you don't.

[FONT=verdana]Yes I m using a stock cooler but why in all conditions (low OC , normal one and high OC) it s 80C while gaming? And why there is not problem in games whiel playing on 2600 mhz and there s problem while playing on 3GHZ which s CPU's normal speed eventho temperatures are the same?[/FONT]

It's highly unlikely but possible, you have a faulty CPU.

Before making any decisions, I would reapply thermal compound. And while I had the CPU cooler off, I'd reseat the CPU. Who knows, it could help and definitely worth a try, before spending extra on other solutions.

Back