CPU processor damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneMonkeyBoy

HI, im writing a very brief note about my problem cause i deleted my whole 5 paragraphs before:

i accidentaly bent about 10-20 pins on the back of my cpu(3.8ghz) when replacing a heatsink(didnt replace properly) and it's a hell of a lot lower than normal. Is this because of the bent pins? (i know it is but reassure me) Is there any way I can fix it or anything to speed it up again?

thanks

How do you bend processor pins when replacing a heatsink? It should have remained in its socket the entire time.

I'm wondering how you did this in the first place, but now the damage is done, trying to fix the pins will likely break them. Go buy a new CPU and call this a learning experience

maybe the "new" 3.8Ghz P4 processor with a 533mhz FSB have its pins on the back instead of the bottom.

I dont know for sure since I have never seen a 3.8ghz P4 with a 533mhz FSB.:eek:

Originally posted by iss
maybe the "new" 3.8Ghz P4 processor with a 533mhz FSB have its pins on the back instead of the bottom.

I dont know for sure since I have never seen a 3.8ghz P4 with a 533mhz FSB.:eek:

No.

hey, if you accident bent pin for your p4 cpu, time to buy new cpu to relearn your lesson not to remove and put it back few times. if it happened in your first time, i suggest it must be done by professional.

dont do it again because it waste your money, i am sorry to hear that

You guys arent serious about (your crapping on) of his 3.8GHz P4 right? Im thinkin its OCed ;) DUH *slap* *slap*

How did you manage to bend the pins anyways? When you replace a heatsink the CPU can stay in the socket :)

I didn't even notice the speed, just saw "bent pins on CPU" Speed doesn't really matter with something like that, its trash now.

Its a common mistake with the boxed heatsink.. Just bent the pens back very carefully and slowly, it should work fine, if it seems slow go into bios and change the CPU Speed from Auto to your processor speed, but bending the pins is no big deal as long as they don't break or have a visiable crack..The pins are connected to transistors within the processor, a pin itself contrains nothing, its more of a path for data to travel on to the motherboard socket and vise versa.
P.S-Nice try with P4 3.8Ghz...good one...3.20Ghz is the highest...you probably got a 2.8Ghz or you dont know much about them..

lol, i'll answer your queries. The biggest processor out at the mo is 3.2 ghz and yes i do know what my processor is. I know quite a lot about pc's. I bought a 3.06 and overclocked it to 3.733. I just said 3.8 cause i just naturally round up numbers.
And yeh the chip came out because the company(novatech) must have forgotten to put the clip down on the motherboard to keep the chip in place. And cause the thermal paste is reasonably sticky it came up with the heatsink.
I'll try what Penark said.

cheers for your help :D

PS: I'm no liar :mad:

PS: SubKamran, wait for the new prescott 4.5ghz chips that are soon coming out. :grinthumb

I dont doubt you, but will you ever tell us what your cooling is? Seems you havnt mentioned it one time, other then you have "good cooling" to support it.

In his sig he has "x2 Vantec Tornados"

I like your computer :D I want it. :p

Good luck on fixing the cpu, truly. I don't know if anything can fix it. Where are you posting from?

I saw somewhere online that the pins can be repaired, just do a search for bent CPU pins and you might find a place that can repair them.

Fastest chip availabe is 3.6ghz, not 3.2

P.S. what do you mean they "forgot" to put the clip in. Are you talking about the CPU release lever? I incredibly seriously doubt that would be "forgotten", and the board wouldn't even work without it (the processor can't make contact with the pins underneath the PCB).

you could try to use a credit card and GENTLY try to bend the pins back by SLOWLY moving it back and forth against the pins

Tom's has got it up to 4.2GHz or so. If you want the link lemme know, or fish around the site, its on there ;)

(originally posted by agissi) I dont doubt you, but will you ever tell us what your cooling is? Seems you havnt mentioned it one time, other then you have "good cooling" to support it.

Errr well If you put your face behind two vantec tornadoes it will keep you damn cool. I recommend you try it it's actually quite refreshing. Therefore the Components must love it too. All i need is a good front 120mm intake fan. That'll complete the circuit cause I have no cold air being blown out at the mo. Hey, does anyone know where I could get a Quiet (25db or lower) 120mm fan?

PS: Oh and by the way I have managed to bend my pins back and I am using my pc now but I dont think some of the pins are making contact with the main board.

Cheers 4 replies
:)

Thats good you got them back...I dont know what to tell you about the pins not connecting except make sure that they are all straight up...Sometimes when you take you CPU out and put it back in it will change the RAM settings...check to see if your CAS Latency,RAS to CAS Delay,RAS percentage Time are set to the maufactures specifications, usually are listed on their website according to RAM type...Hope this helps in any way... :D

--Penark--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back