CPU RAM or SLI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Hum where to begin!
Ok my PC was Build ground up by me its mission was to be DirectX 9/10, Vista compatable and run games smooth has possible.

So! I ordered all parts slowly over few months I finally Finished it and I was very pleased with the results, Vista is giving it 5.0 which was still new to me was I was most happy with this!

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz - 5.1
Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB - 5.0
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS - 5.9
Gaming graphics 1406 MB Total available graphics memory - 5.9
Primary hard disk 113GB Free (149GB Total) - 5.4

So your saying whats the problem well the over day I picked up Lost Planet Extreme Condition, oh dear.
This was the ture test which my pc failed.

To the helping part.
this game runs at 7fps on max setting at 1920x1200 I want to improve this, I hate getting a game and having to lower settings.
Now I'm stuck on what I should consider riping out replacing or adding. options options I'm kind of stuck here :/

I'm guessing the real problem is what Vista is saying to me Memory and CPU by the points system.
memory is made up of 4 sticks 2x 1GB and 2x 512MB both OCZ
CPU is Duel Core Duo 2 so what would you recommend! I was thinking adding a second 8800/SLI or will this not help?

If you need any more detials please do ask! or see my profile.

Also thinking about it that RAM would you reccommed for a SLI setup Mobo can take up to 8GB...

yeah if you keep packing up on ram and all this stuff your psu is going to give unless you have a good one. 3gbs is more then enough. If you're going to get a new cpu make sure its compatible with your motherboard. If you have a SLI compatible mobo then yes getting two graphics cards in SLI would raise your fps.

I think there may be a driver problem somewhere if an 8800 is getting 7FPS in anything... Have you installed drivers for everything?

Yeah I updated all my drivers tried everything.

also I got a 550w PSU that gonna hold. if i got a second 8800.

2 more querys what temps should the pc be running at and if what IS better duel core or single....

Hmm... do you really run at those res?

I don't really know the game, but I understand its a new DX10 title? It could be because its that its a really new game, running at very high res, which is causing you to get such crappy fps...

ratingdo2.jpg

Death_Octimus said:
also I got a 550w PSU that gonna hold. if i got a second 8800.
Very unlikely. You'll be more likely to blow it up.
As for your problem, have you even tried lowering the resolution and other settings in-game to see if it runs better? Vista has shoddy NVIDIA drivers, so don't be surprised at those results. Also, DX10 isn't that performance-optimized, so don't expect games like CoH (with the DX10 patch) to run well and look good at the same time, especially at that resolution.

DX10 is supposed to have a better pipeline putting GPU in use more than CPU.
Oblivion on max setting runs fine at that ress. hum. I guess I just need more raw power. But that takes me to the same question. what about getting a single core CPU over a duel or am I stabbing myself in the back...

get a core 2 duo, its usually only $40 more then a single core if you get a decent one. (2.6ghz) then if you know how you can oc it. but i run lost planet just fine and i have an fx5500 lol???? wth is goin on in your computer..

Death_Octimus said:
DX10 is supposed to have a better pipeline putting GPU in use more than CPU.
Oblivion on max setting runs fine at that ress. hum. I guess I just need more raw power. But that takes me to the same question. what about getting a single core CPU over a duel or am I stabbing myself in the back...
First of all, D3D 10 isn't optimized at all yet. It's "supposed" to be "better", but it's new and unoptimized for speed.

Second, don't get a single core, ha. Your C2 seems fine.

Third, is a 320MB or a 640MB 8800GTS? If it's the 320MB one, then that's your problem. If it is the 640MB one, then I still think that it's your card being the GTS version that's the problem. I suggest you lower the settings to see whether it runs fine at all, or whether your card is borked.

Forth, I'd bet you anything that a 550W will NOT hold up with two 8800 cards. Unless it's a PC P&C one, their PSUs are pretty crazy (in the extremely good sense).

sli the video card would help quiet abit but u do understand that a new game on a new OS is not going to do good until both the game and the OS has matured some, and DX 10 is new and will go over a bunch of changes in the next year. so u are really the testing ground for all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back