CPU Related Question...

By Mr. Brian
Feb 7, 2004
  1. Hi,

I need to remove my CPU from my damaged motherboard to put it into my new motherboard. I just need to know if I need to replace the thermal interface (glue) when I add it to the new motherboard. If I do or if it *should* be done, where could I get the stuff I need? (I am referring to the thermal interface glue)...

Note: The Heatsink (came with the boxed processor) had a 'peel and stick patch' on the bottom side of it. Is that what I need to replace? If so where do I get that?

Also, I have already pulled the Heatsink off the processor, and noticed some funky looking 'glue' on the top of the processor, ( hope everything works when I put it back into the new mb.

If possible, could you reply to my email

Thank you in advance.

-Brian (Mr. Brian)
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Look in this post for the HOW

Clean up the CPU top-surface (where the goo is) as well as the bottom of your heatsink.
    Buy some thermal paste like Arctic Silver II or III and use that, rather than thermal pads like you have at the momemnt.
  3. Charles Hammond

Charles Hammond TS Rookie Posts: 59

I have heard of cleaning the CPU Thermal Paste (or thermal pads) using 100%, or close to it, rubbing alcohol. This leaves less residue than things containing water.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.