CPU running at 87C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNemo

I have a P4 3.0GHz HT with an intel board. The system was behaving erratically this weekend and crashed hard. After backing up data and reinstalling XP Pro, the machine began locking up. After checking the bios, we noticed that the CPU temp was 87C (which seems abnormally hot, even though I have no basis for comparison, since I've never checked the CPU temp before). After allowing it to cool down for a while, the idle temp of the machine with a fresh startup was 45C. While monitoring the temp., we watched it gradually rise to 65C and then turned it off.

The machine has not had any apparent problems up until this point, and I verified that the heatsink and fan are seated properly. I am using the stock heatsink and fan, both of which were very warm to the touch.

Has anyone had this problem with a similar processor?

Can anyone offer any cooling advice?

Shane

Hey your computer is *overheating* already...
Though my p4 never get that hot, i personally recommend you to :
-put new case fan in
-plug out and wash the heatsink, clean the CPU fan
-paste thermal gel (if really necessary)
-dust out your case (especially if you've never clean it for 1 year)

max temp of my lappy :87*C, then i wash the whole fan and heatsink, weird now the max max temp is only 67*C even i had turned off my aircon.

hope it works and good luck:)

Thanks for the quick reply. I am thinking of getting some artic silver compound and a new cooling solution; after a bit of research, it seems as if a lot of people think the intel stock fan and heatsink are not suitable for this processor; I think running 4 HDD's and a performance video card is not helping the situation in the early 90's tower, either. I will have to see how much heat those components are giving off.

Well it is certainly not normal that goes to to 90°C but I had it happen, first thing you should make sure of is that your conductivity pad doesn't have any airbubbles or you didn't put TOO MUCH thermal paste on to it (if you put it together yourself) because that can often have the opposed effect that a thin layer should have.
Also make sure that the cooler/heatsink whatever is correctly on the CPU.

Get some new thermal paste and if that doesnt help, get a new cooler. P4 stock cooling is useless.

i agree with altheman as my prev p4 always having trouble with cpu, heatsink, fan anything about heat... i suggest you really look at his advice...

Problem ameliorated-

The stock fan must have malfunctioned after 4 months-

previous stock p4 fan- 932 RPM
new stock p4 fan- 1800RPM

It is now stable at idle at 47C. I am assuming under a load it will run around 65C.

I also applied Arctic Alumina.

I wonder, what speeds do your (stock p4 or aftermarket) CPU fans run at?

Shane Barber

47C @ 1800RPM seems very reasonable especially if its the presscot version cpu.
After market fan speeds can vary depending on type, mine will go upto 4500RPM if needed.

LOL I just hot glued this extra fan that was lying around to the mix which dropped it to 42C. Not bad for a free, ugly mod. BEATS 87C!

Jeez, I want to get one of these E6600's and try to hit the 4GHz mark. I hear the 6800 can hit... 5GHz with water. Too expensive though *_*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back