CPU runs at 65-70C, dangerous?

Obzoleet

Hello,

I recently put togheter a smaller gaming PC in a Bitfenix Prodigy case and I am abit worried about the heat. I was warned before I put it toghether that the case would not handle heat too well but it am only worried about the CPU to be honest.

I have an i5 3570 and when I run BF4 maxed out it seems to be around 60-70c on all cores. Is this dangerous and do I need to get some form of cooler?

the GPU hasnt gone above 50c yet so it only seems to be the CPU that runs abit hot?

I have not been able to try something more demanding then BF4 yet.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm assuming that you are using the "Stock" cooler that came with i5, and not leaving it without one ("... do I need to get some form of cooler?"). If that is the case then you dont have much to worry about. Those are temps that are under load, so they are in a safe range for the CPU. If you are worried about heat building up with the CPU (or plan on overclocking), then I would suggest getting an aftermarket cooler. That would of course be based off what kind of budget you may (or may not) have. Getting an aftermarket cooler will lower the temps (idle and under load), and give you peace at mind. If you need more help with selecting one, please tell us what budget you can put towards purchasing one.

I'm assuming that you are using the "Stock" cooler that came with i5, and not leaving it without one ("... do I need to get some form of cooler?"). If that is the case then you dont have much to worry about. Those are temps that are under load, so they are in a safe range for the CPU. If you are worried about heat building up with the CPU (or plan on overclocking), then I would suggest getting an aftermarket cooler. That would of course be based off what kind of budget you may (or may not) have. Getting an aftermarket cooler will lower the temps (idle and under load), and give you peace at mind. If you need more help with selecting one, please tell us what budget you can put towards purchasing one.

Yes you are correct, I am using the stock cooler, sorry for not making that more clear.

But I am not aiming for any overclocking, ( Dont I need the 3570k for that?) so I will probably continue with my stock cooler then.

Thanks

Those temperatures are not problematic, but I do think that they are too high.
Perhaps the heatsink is not seated properly or you misapplied thermal paste.

Those temperatures are not problematic, but I do think that they are too high.
Perhaps the heatsink is not seated properly or you misapplied thermal paste.

I do recall fiddling with the stock cooler at first, it was pre applied and I did not notice it at first and most likely its not perfectly applied,

I did however order some MX4 thermal paste this weekend which I should get soon,

I will apply the new one and come back with the result :)

I do recall fiddling with the stock cooler at first, it was pre applied and I did not notice it at first and most likely its not perfectly applied,

I did however order some MX4 thermal paste this weekend which I should get soon,

I will apply the new one and come back with the result :)
Well the temps are actually about normal for a stock cooler as far as I see. Under load, my friends i7 (I know its an i7 but they are essentially the same chip) runs around 60+ under gaming loads as well.

I would suggest buying like a cheap aftermarket air cooler if your worried, I don't think applying new thermal paste will drop the temp much unless the cooler is not seated properly.

The chip will throttle its core clocks if temps become to high, so unless you see throttling (Which I believe the temp has to be pretty high to throttle at 105C)

Well the temps are actually about normal for a stock cooler as far as I see. Under load, my friends i7 (I know its an i7 but they are essentially the same chip) runs around 60+ under gaming loads as well.

I would suggest buying like a cheap aftermarket air cooler if your worried, I don't think applying new thermal paste will drop the temp much unless the cooler is not seated properly.

The chip will throttle its core clocks if temps become to high, so unless you see throttling (Which I believe the temp has to be pretty high to throttle at 105C)

I was considering the H55 as you advised in one of my earlier threads but if I dont need it I would like to save the money :)

I will still try to apply the new thermal paste I get and see if there is any difference,

How can I see if my CPU throttles ingame? FPS drop? ( Im noob, sowwy :( )

I was considering the H55 as you advised in one of my earlier threads but if I dont need it I would like to save the money :)

I will still try to apply the new thermal paste I get and see if there is any difference,

How can I see if my CPU throttles ingame? FPS drop? ( Im noob, sowwy :( )
Well honestly there are programs you can have up showing core clocks depending on the board manufacturer they can even come with the software. However if your temps are only at most 70c, your not throttling since the throttle point of Ivy-Bridge is (I just looked it up to make sure my number was correct) 105 Celcius.

Also in your bios you can normally tell the computer to crank up the CPU fan speed at lower temps which can help if you want.

Well honestly there are programs you can have up showing core clocks depending on the board manufacturer they can even come with the software. However if your temps are only at most 70c, your not throttling since the throttle point of Ivy-Bridge is (I just looked it up to make sure my number was correct) 105 Celcius.

Ah I see,

Well I am using HWmonitor and TRIXX ( supplied with GPU ) to monitor CPU and GPU and I then tab out every now and then to check,

I have not seen the CPU cores go over 70c , and they are most usually down around 45-50c but sometimes they go up to 60-70.

But for now then I will settle with applying different paste,

How hot should they be to make me want to look into further cooling? 80? 90?

Ah I see,

Well I am using HWmonitor and TRIXX ( supplied with GPU ) to monitor CPU and GPU and I then tab out every now and then to check,

I have not seen the CPU cores go over 70c , and they are most usually down around 45-50c but sometimes they go up to 60-70.

But for now then I will settle with applying different paste,

How hot should they be to make me want to look into further cooling? 80? 90?
To be fair, unless you want to ensure silent operation or just keep extra heat from staying in the case, I would not worry much unless temps get close to 80c personally on a locked i5 (Non-unlocked multiplier). In reality, its designed to run on the stock cooler around there already and can handle it just fine. You can try the new thermal paste if you want, but in all honesty that temp seems average to me based on my experience with the stock coolers from AMD and Intel.

Last edited:
To be fair, unless you want to insure silent operation or just keep extra heat from staying in the case, I would not worry much unless temps get close to 80c personally on a locked i5 (Non-unlocked multiplier). In reality, its designed to run on the stock cooler around there already and can handle it just fine. You can try the new thermal paste if you want, but in all honesty that temp seems average to me based on my experience with the stock coolers from AMD and Intel.

Alright, Thanks!

Crap for some reason IE crashed and the long post got lost...

Well I'll sum it up for you :p

It's not crazy hot it will run fine as most said already, will not fry your proc though still it's a bit hot for my personal taste.

You already said how you reaplied the paste and re-seated the cooler, which is good.

How is your case? Is it a cheap chinesse one or an aftermarket model? Do you have good air flow inside? Do you use it open? This is very important for computers.

Also, back in the day (Around 2 years) when I bought my "new" proc, I also bought an aftermarket cooler called CoolerMaster Hyper TX3, which is not THAAAT amazing but after reading the reviews it was a GREAT bang for the buck, around $20 and it improved the cooling a ton compared to the stock one, you should look into it. http://goo.gl/YwHDmE

Back