CPU Shuts Down Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, Little bit of a noob(well, I lied, I'm as green as they get) BUT:

As seeing from the title I have posted, I have a little(big) issue.

First, Here are my specs for my CPU:

Dell XPS 720

Intel Core Quad
Q6600 @2.40GHz
2.40 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeFORCE 8600 GTS

I'm not too familiar with any other specs for my CPU, but if needed to find, I will do my best.

The issue is that it just shuts down randomly. I did A full scan, and I don't seem to have any issues with malware, viruses, etc. Before it shuts down, there is no message that warns me of it, no "Attention," or "script" error message, as well.

I had just bought this CPU last November. I still have my warranty, and I have called, but still no avail. They "need more info". but I'm not the greatest on detailed descriptions, sometimes.

Extra Notes:
- My power bar is pretty lame., Need a new power bar supply?
- I tend to keep my cpu on for hours at a time.
- I don't defrag as much as I should.
- I have a lot of the latest first person shooter games on my cpu.
- I'm not familiar with cooling system, perhaps I should buy one?
Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

Alex.

btw cpu is short for Central Processing Unit, not for computer. ;)

I would recommend checking the ventilation to the system and check that all the vents on the case are free of dust.

Check to see if its not getting too hot.

Does it shutdown after being turned on after a long period of time?

Don't open the case just yet as this may void warranty? You might want to check this.

Regards,

Hey there,

Just to update my scenario, and troubleshooting. I had used EVEREST for this little project. Here are the results:

CPU Properties:
CPU Type 2x , 2400 MHz (7 x 343)
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock 2400 MHz
L1 Code Cache 32 KB
L1 Data Cache 32 KB
L2 Cache 4 MB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU:
Motherboard ID DELL Dell XPS720
CPU #0 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 MHz
CPU #1 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 MHz
CPU #2 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 MHz
CPU #3 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 MHz

CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 / Core #1 / HTT Unit #1 0 %
CPU #1 / Core #1 / HTT Unit #2 2 %
CPU #1 / Core #2 / HTT Unit #1 0 %
CPU #1 / Core #2 / HTT Unit #2 5 %

Just for a note, for the last section, as for the utilization, this really fluctuates, from 0 percent, to eleven percent.

Anyways, thanks for the info, and for the little hint, on terms, and what not.

As to answer the questions, yes, it does shut down after being turned on after a long period of time., but now it is more frequent. As for the warranty, I shouldn't risk it either way, I don't think I am skilled enough to venture in that direction, for now. I don't want to mess it up even more.
Also, my tower, does not seem to be getting hot or collect dust, on top or around. Or anywhere, as I am aware of, but I could be wrong, seeing as I am kinda new at this sorta thing.

Well, thanks for the info. any more help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Alex

Still going to need more information. What is happening before it shuts down? Also after it's been running for a minute try restarting the comp. (not CPU... stop using CPU as a name for the computer) then at boot/post press the [del] key or whatever key it is that gets you into {system setup}. It may be the [F1] key or even the [ESC] key. While in {system setup} find an option for PC Health or system temperature and report back what you CPU and system temperature is.

For the last response.

Once again, I am new here, so be patient with the use of my wording. I had got the hint from the first post, no need to waste your breath.

Second, I had gone into my system set up, by pressing the F12 key. And there was no "PC Health or System temperature". I had checked every tab, from a to z. Still nothing that related to what you had recommended to search for.

Once gain , I could be mistaken, is there a program you could use to find out what your temp. is, like Everest?.

Anyways. thanks for the in-put, and guidance. Any more assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex

Welcome Alejandroe84,
can I assume that your first language is Spanish? Run your computer with the case open. See if the random restarts stop

Sometimes you press [F9] while in system setup to get your pc temperature. a 3rd party program will work fine as well.

oh and if you have a quad core intel ... you might want to consider a high end heatsink & fan...appossed to the factory model that comes with the comp.

Hey there,

For the last comment. VERY useful. thanks for the info.

I will look more into this, and hopefully this can be resolved.

I will also call DELL and once again, use my big mouth and rant on, on how this is really unhealthy for my computer, and hopefully they could either give me some descent technical help, or any of such.

As for the heat sink and fan. I will look further into this, and look for good prices, and or deals.

Ive been looking at other posts, and some people have been bringing up "memtest86.org" or what not, maybe that could work, or help out?

Anyways, sorry for all this jargon.

Thanks for the useful info.

Cheers,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back