CPU speed problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneumohr

Hey, i have a problam w/ my Athlon XP 3000+.I'm useing Asus A7NX 2.0 Deluxe. I install the probe, and when i look at the info for my CPU, its says that the max speed is 3000mhz, but it is currently running at 1300mhz. You can so u here: PICTURE
Copy/Paste the url into the address bar, stupid getcities sux.
The problem in circled in red.

Is there somthing wrong with my CPU, or w/ the config?
Do i have to over clock it or somthing?
Or do i just not understand somthing?

Your Geocities link is down. Usually they don't let you link an image at your site remotely, for bandwidth purposes. Attach it here if you want us to see it.

To answer your question, it's because the Athlon XP 3000+ is designed to run at 166MHz FSB, and in your BIOS it's probably running at 100, which is normally default. You're actually running it underclocked right now, not overclocked.

What to do is enter your BIOS by hitting DEL at startup, and find where you can change the clock speed of the CPU. I don't have an nForce based board, so I wouldn't know where to look, but you should be able to find it pretty easily. There should be a field that has "Manual, 1300MHz, 1733MHz, or 2170MHz" in it. Select 2170, and your CPU should run at normal speed!
If you have no idea what I'm talking about, just check out the owner's manual.
I had an A7V8X that did that, and that's what I had to do.

I always seem to get that problem. My solution isn't much of a solution but it works. I just use the "User Defined" settings in the BIOS and set the FSB manually, and if I recall Acidosmosis had one A7N8X-? that didn't work at the correct speed unless he removed the 100/133 jumper on his mother board. You could try that if it's already set to 133/166.

hm..

I do know what u talking about, Vehe, but i can't seem to find the area that u are refering to. Can you give me more detail please?

Anyone have the same board as me that can give me specific examples would be very helpful.

I got it to work, thans alot. My bios setting was at 100 and i just switched it to 166MHz, and that did it.

Tahnk you all very much :)

another problem, ever since i made my cpu speed normal, my computer has randomly been restarting.

I set the bios thingey back to 100MHz and it's no longer restartng.

What's wrong?
Any ideas?

What type of Power Supply do you have? By increasing your processors speed its sucking more juice, possibly overwhelming your Power Supply if its cheap/inadequate....

lol, probably means a 350w ATX Power Supply...Should be ok..
Hey what type of memory are you using? perhaps the memory is only rated to be DDR266, and you're running it at DDR333 speeds

I see nobody touched on temperature yet. Check them in your BIOS after you have run your PC for let's say an hour or so.
Or download MBM (MoBo Monitor) http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
and let us know.
ALso, run your PC with the case open for a day and see if that improves things. If so you will need to adjust/install more fans

Re: hm..

Originally posted by bneumohr
I do know what u talking about, Vehe, but i can't seem to find the area that u are refering to. Can you give me more detail please?

What Vehementi meant was that you upload your pix from your pc to the Techspot Gallery. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back