TechSpot

CPU speed slow

By Koosh
Dec 2, 2009
  1. I am having problems with my CPU speed. I currently have a AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ processor but the thing is my CPU speed only shows up as 994 mhz.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. Koosh

Koosh TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks but I already got CPU-z. And thats one of the programs that shows that I only have 994 MHz. I also checked systemrequirementslab and it also said 994 MHz.

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Wait a minute :rolleyes: That's correct :cool:

You have a dual core, like having 2 x 994 MHz. (note it doesn't work this way exactly)
    You are just looking at one core

5. jasonbernal

jasonbernal TS Rookie Posts: 24

cpux

try cpuid or other software to check the clock speed

6. jasonbernal

jasonbernal TS Rookie Posts: 24

amd

amd is not always as accurate as intel on those tools though

7. Koosh

Thanks guys, but the thing is that I am trying to play "the saboteur". And according to Systemrequirementlab I have a computer that can handle it except for the CPU speed I do have the game and it is lagging.
    hxxp://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4513/cpuh.png
    xx-tt

8. Koosh

Double post :)

9. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

The operating frequency should be 3.2Ghz.

994 is showing up most because AMDs have a throttling technology called Cool and Quiet. Basically during times of inactiby the CPU underclocks itself to reduce heat and power consumption.

What you could is start a CPU intensive program, and watch CPU-Z and you can see the multipler go up. Or you can enter BIOS and disable it all togther.

Just to be sure, can check the multipler during on CPU-Z when it is reading 994, it show something lower then 16.

10. Koosh

Yea when its 994 the multiplier is at 5. but why can't I play the game then? getting a bit frustrated. :O

11. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

You can play the game.

The software that is checking to see if you are capable to play it, is simply checking your current CPU clock speed.

As mentioned with CnQ on, during times of non intensive load the CPU underclocks itself. So the program that is checking the requirements is looking at a the speed that CnQ has not the speed of the CPU once its is under load.

Once your CPU is underload (from a game, or ripping a DVD etc) is goes back to the normal 3.2Ghz that it is rated at.

12. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

Disable Cool And Quiet from your BIOS. The issue should be solved.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.