cpu suggestion

By transviruses
Dec 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all
    My cpu recently got screwed up for some reason, so now im thinking about buying a new cpu. My mobo supports AMD socket 754 Athlon 64/ Sempron. the broken one i have now is a AMD 64 athlon 3200+ ~2.8 Ghz. I use my pc usually on gaming so whats decent AMD processor for gaming? or should i go for duo core?
    thx
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

Is this a trick question? ;)

For gaming, the answer is yes, you should go for core 2 duo. But of course this is all a question of budget, as you would have to upgrade your motherboard, ram and most likely PSU as well in the process.

Are you interested in putting together a new system, or are you simply wanting to upgrade your CPU in your current system?

The Asus site seems to be down right now, so I can't confirm the max CPU your board will handle.
  3. transviruses

transviruses Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 67

no not at this moment, and yes i just want to upgrade my cpu.
    i think im gonna have to go with a single core AMD cpu.
  4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

Just checked Asus' Japan site, and your motherboard supports a maximum of the 3700 (socket 754). The trouble will be in finding one.... ebay?
  5. transviruses

transviruses Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 67

yea thx i will be doing some research on it.
    hmm i dunno if i can trust ebay when it somes to buying computer parts
  6. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 Newcomer, in training Posts: 351

If you look on Newegg the best Athlon for the 754 is a 3000+ and I looked around a bit at other sites and couldn't find one, so I think you may be stuck with Ebay.
  7. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,438

Yes, Just buy from Ebay with PayPal so if it ever gets messed up or DoA ( dead on arrival ) then you could always get money back ;)
  8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

paypal is not a guarantee you'll get your money back. In fact, more often than not, paypal sides with sellers. Only buying with a credit card ensures you'll get your money back.
  9. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,438

But isnt PayPal a credit card but without having to put all the information in all the time?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.